1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Not quite sure what is wrong. Fried connector or board?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Osmethae, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Osmethae

Osmethae New Member

I've been trying to get a hold of support for about a month and a half but have not been helped, so I figure I'd come here. It seems like just over one night everything on my printer shit the bed, and one of them is kinda scary.

It was no different than any other night, I keep my printer on a glass top table and it has plenty of ventilation, it was bedtime so I started it and made sure it was going good before I went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning it was stopped in its tracks about halfway through the print. The first thing I noticed was a little wire dangling from above the extruder.
    [​IMG]

I just took it off the table and put it on the ground to take the bottom off and inspect some other parts of it, and noticed this charred connector on the board, along with two disconnected wires on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is what happens when I turn it on. The fans activate, it connects to Simplify3D, no temperatures on the bed or the extruder, and the power supply makes a constant clicking sound.

At this point I am not even sure where to begin. It's still under warranty as well but that doesn't do any good when no one will get back to me.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do not power on your machine. Call Robo direct. My personal opinion is all the electronics need replaced.

The noise that i hear if its coming from the power supply is arcing...not good, the thermistor wire appears toast as well as the molex connector and at least the ramps board

Osmethae and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Here's my guess..........The problem began with two loose wires on the molex, green connector. The wires were not tight during factory final assembly. The charred terminals are consistent with arcing, ( that's how homes burn down with something so simple as not tight wirenuts).

The arcing, stresses the power supply......current surges & spikes. This caused the power supply to fail......

The damaged power supply may have then overheated the extruder heater causin' the thermistor to melt.

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it...............LOL

Electronics may be fine, but looks like a candidate for a replacement machine.......Take Care.........Jimmy

Osmethae likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Osmethae likes this.
  5. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Osmethae likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Osmethae likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The green doohickey the wires go into.

Osmethae and Geof like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep thats the widget

Osmethae likes this.
  9. Osmethae

Osmethae New Member

Thanks for the help everyone! Just finished discussing all the problems with Robert from customer support, and my new thermistor, RAMPS board, 4 pin connector, and power supply are on its way.

Hopefully this all gets me printing again.

Geof and jim3Dbot like this.