1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print says 'Done' but missing top layer?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by steampunkprogrammer, Dec 11, 2016.

1. steampunkprogrammer

steampunkprogrammer New Member

I set my printer to low quality to test print something a few hours later it says its done but its missing the final layer (I can see the infill pattern just showing like the print failed) but it appears it didnt fail, it just suddenly decided it was done. I dont see any errors or anything anywhere, and there isnt any extra filament laying around like you expect from a failure, it just stopped and claimed it was done.

Is this a result of the 'low' quality setting? What could have happened otherwise?

2. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

A Picture helps along with the print settings, But I would guess you do not have enough top layers. What is the infill %? What is the top layer setting? If you run two or three top layers with something like 20% infill you will still see the infill pattern, or at least that is my experience depending on the material.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It may be a nozzle jam. Try another print and double check your layers like mentioned above in your slicer settings

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. steampunkprogrammer

steampunkprogrammer New Member

It was jammed!
    Easy enough fix, it seems the spool got snagged and resulted in the feeder gears breaking the filament leaving it sticking slightly out of the hot end, easy enough to fix.

Rigmarol and Geof like this.