1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved My Robo R1+ Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Moffett, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Matt Moffett

Matt Moffett New Member

My printer runs for about 12 to 20 minutes and shuts off. I found in the G-Code Terminal that the Extruder switched off. The message says Temperature fell too much during print. I've attached a screen shot of the error message.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I

Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Always a bad thermistor issue pick one (in order of most likely):
    1) thermistor itself is loose or damaged.
    2) wiring to the thermistor (from the RAMPS board) is bad or intermittent
    3) The RAMPS board itself is bad
    4) The arduino board is bad

3. Matt Moffett

Matt Moffett New Member

Thanks, I'll check out the thermostat wiring and go from there.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can test the first two cold by simply trying to wiggle wires while watching the temperature in the software.

5. Matt Moffett

Matt Moffett New Member

So I ran a couple of tests and monitored the temp via MatterControl. I a calibration circle using only the heated nozzle while monitoring the temps. The system ran without an issue and completed the calibration circle.

The second test I ran with both the bed heated and the nozzle heated. I monitored both temps while it ran. About 10 min into the print the printer suddenly stopped and is still saying the temps fell too much during print. However at the time the printer stopped, the temps for both the nozzle and the bed were exactly where they should have been. 50C for the bed and 210.2C for the nozzle.

So something must be telling a controller the temps are out of parameters when they are not. Would that be the Ramps board?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It could be the thermistor. Check the wiring through the printer and look for loose connections or bare wires

7. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I've had that happen running an E3D Volcano - do you run a parts cooling fan?? Is the heater block insulated (tape or sock)?? If the parts cooling fan is blowing just slightly too far upward, and, as expected with the Volcano, you're using a bigger nozzle, the temp will drop EVERY TIME.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, with smaller heater cores (25w, 30w) the fan can affect the nozzle temperature rather dramatically.
    The 40w cores are far less easy to get them to drift if the fan is aimed at them, but it still can drop. If in doubt turn off (or unplug) the parts cooling fan to see if that changes the behavior.

9. Robert55

Robert55 Member

In my case, the increased filament flow with a 1mm nozzle didn't help. Some ceramic tape (try Amazon), and some CPU thermal paste on the heater cartridge did. With the computer thermal paste, there is a noticeable (not measured) speed up in heating from ambient temp.