1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PROTOFACTOR INC's C2's print results

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by PROTOFACTOR INC, Dec 22, 2016.

1. PROTOFACTOR INC

PROTOFACTOR INC New Member

Hey there! This is PROTOFACTOR INC! We design royalty free 3D stock models for the game industry and wanted to experiment in some other areas to diversify our activity. We opted to back the C2 and R2 combo.
    We received the C2 unit yesterday December 21st 2016.

This first batch shipped with a potential known issue regarding the filament run out detection. We haven't gone through our 300g PLA spool yet so I can't tell anything regarding that matter. However upon unpacking and first initial set up of our unit we had a terrible problem: the touch screen wouldn't light up. The technical support helped us by phone to solve the issue. It was an easy and fast fix: just needed to open the guts of the beast from the front top part then sides finllay bottom, use the -Z screw rod to bring manually the plate up, open the lower part to have access to the guts (boards). You can make sure all the plugs are in that way. Our specific issue was that the micro usb plug on the right side of the green board needed to be unplugged re plugged. ( hope that if anybody encounter the exact same issue he'll be able to solve it thanks to us.:))

Now we just started messing around with the printer and our first prints are absolutely satisfying! We'll be posting and updating that thread with our results, test prints, critics etc... Here are two pictures we took of the very first print we did (after an initial test print and a messed up print because our G-Code was telling the printer to use a 3mm filament instead of 1.75 mm...) It's an ogre character that we split into 5 parts ( torso, belly, arm left, arm right , leg left, leg right).
    Here is the result for the torso ( 0.1 mm layer thickness // 1mm Wall thickness // 25% infill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is almost straight out of the printer, just removed quickly some support and a bit of rough filing here and there.

#1 PROTOFACTOR INC, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Ed Ferguson and Rigmarol like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey thabks for sharing. Your the first c2 owner ive heard on the forum! Share some pictures of your new set up?

3. PROTOFACTOR INC

no problem. It's exciting to share the results. A lot of backers were upset about the lack of print results from Robo. So we're trying to calm them down doing so :)

4. PROTOFACTOR INC

And here is the C2 printing the lower part of the Ogre (his big sagging fat belly upside down) and the printer set up in the office.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

danzca6 and Ed Ferguson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very cool. Nice to see one in the field. Blue led again ? Lol. Are they nice and bright ? Any notable improvements ?

(Assuming you have had other printers?)

6. PROTOFACTOR INC

can't tell about any improvements. Very first 3D printer for us. But yeah they are definitely very bright. The printer is a bit noisy as well. Like someone is in the communication // transmission // telegraph lol, but I mean it's fine. It's not crazy loud. Second print is finished going to take some pix.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting on the volume.... Most gantry style are very quiet smooth running machines

8. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Keep those photos coming!
    I'm a Robo R2 backer, so I'll have to continue to have patience.
    In the meantime I've borrowed my son's Robo R1+

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am very curious and will be asking Robo to provide the source code for the LCD screen, as required by the GPL license. If you SSH into the printer you should be attached to the internal Raspberry Pi. I would love to know what modules they are using in Python. Before they pulled the repository from Github, they were using a fork of Voxel8's web interface and a fork of OctoPrint-LCD. I would also like to see how the electronics are arranged within the C2 and the R2 when it releases.

While a lot of gantry style printers use bushings that ride on the rails, if Robo decided to retain the use of LM8UU or similar bearings instead, that could account for a significant increase in the noise level while printing. Especially true considering that a printer enclosed except for the front and top might also act like a megaphone.

I can see from their repositories they are using ABL on Marlin 1.1.0 RC6. just an FYI this version of ABL predates Bilinear Grid. As far as I can tell they have a modified version of RAMPS with a couple of pin assignments swapped.

#9 WheresWaldo, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

The C2 / R2 have a sheet metal chassis surrounded by the white plastic skin panels. The gantry assembly and three steppers are mounted to the sheet metal panels. Any vibration transmitted to those large panels is likely amplified. How the C2 noise level compares to any other printer is yet to be seen (heard). Hopefully a C2 owner with prior 3D printer experience will share their experience.

robo_c2.jpg

11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If the noise level is comparable between the C2 and R1, it's pretty damn loud.

My current printer is so quiet that I have to physically walk over and look at it to see if it's running.

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson there wouldn't happen to be a higher resolution version of that picture you posted?

Nevermind, found the post where that picture came from. Another picture in that update shows brass bushings, so in time they should break in and be quieter. Since the steppers are mounted direct to the metal chassis something like a cork or rubber gasket should quiet it down even more. When the optional front door becomes available you would get a further noise reduction. It may never be the quietest printer but it shouldn't be too bad when all things finally settle in.

c7a51d79de1d5644273998d110bdf20a_original[1].JPG

#12 WheresWaldo, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd like to get my hands on one of each model so I can break it apart and see how their doing it ;)

14. JjD

JjD New Member

IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0471.JPG After sanding IMG_0472.JPG After sanding
    IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0470.JPG

Before sanding

Whistle works great. I used ROBO wood PLA
    Feels like wood.
    Not perfect.
    It's a little messy during print, drags plastic residual tail out of head as it repositions to continue another print layer.
    Kept on extruding prior to printing.

Looks good. First completed print.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  15. Andrew Goren

Andrew Goren New Member

Has anyone tried printing anything with supports? How easy are they to remove. I could never get the support settings dialed in on my R1 using the Matter Control tablet.

16. daniel871

Back when my R1 was alive, I bought Simplify3D because Matter Control was terrible software at the time (and from what I hear, still is).

Supports would pop right off.

You may want to give Slic3r or the current version of Cura a try.

17. supernovae

supernovae Member

Which wood filament did you use? The spools robo sells or another brand? @JjD

Can you record a video of a 2-3 minutes of printing with audio so we can hear/see it? :)

18. daniel871

19. supernovae

supernovae Member

need more coffee

20. John M. Fruits

Can anyone let me know if they are using the iPhone app to send "converted" stl files to their printer (C2) and if so, are they getting "centered" prints? My prints are not centered, and are printing to the back right corner (yet the initial print purge line is still at the front of the print platten). The initial "test" print centers, but anything else, always to the back right...

Chad Gasaway likes this.