1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PROTOFACTOR INC's C2's print results

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by PROTOFACTOR INC, Dec 22, 2016.

1. John M. Fruits

Here is a picture of the 3d Benchy boat (nose is cut off due to not being centered) and it was printed with a medium setting......(but it doesn't appear these profiles are modifiable....

Attached Files:

2. supernovae

supernovae Member

ohh.. another C2 owner chiming in. Can you record a little video with audio of 1-2 mins of you doing a print?? pretty please :D

3. John M. Fruits

I tried but it won't let me upload the file (too large). The printer is absolutely AMAZING!!!! The quality is outstanding! I think it still has a few issues (adjusting profiles, scaling, bed placement, heated platten, etc....) but if you have one coming you will love it.

Couple of initial issues...

1) the software for the computer is not available on their website as of today...both the printed material and the "link" supplied on the USB thumb drive, only point to the "Matter Control" Software downloads (windows and Mac).

2) the iPhone app is cool, but limited.

3) the printer is very noisy. I think most of the noise is coming from the fan for the extruder. Possibly just a loud fan choice.

4) the stepper noises are typical, but maybe amplified in the enclosure.

5) the "adhesive" sticker supplied feels like masking tape. As a original kickstarter R1 owner, who has went through countless upgrades, including a new heated bed with "build-Tak" adheasive stickers....I think the best thing we will be able to do will be to let off on the squish just a little (z-offset), and use a buildtak sticker instead.....

4. John M. Fruits

Here is a photo of a 1/4" bolt I printed in high red (fine)

Attached Files:

5. supernovae

supernovae Member

like what i see so far! benchy looks good other than nose and that bolt came out nice. keep us posted! (maybe you can post video to youtube and link it here? i'm sure other youtubers may be interested in seeing it too!)

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@JjD Did your whistle work, I printed the same one and you have to blow so hard in the one I printed you end up coughing up a lung before you get any sound.

7. John M. Fruits

I was posting from my iPhone (with my big thumbs!) so a couple of typos.

When I printed the bolt (It was still shifted to the back right, but fit) I used the Higher resolution (default profiles) profile called HighPLA and the results were noticeably better. However, I do see a need for scaling, centering, multiple parts on a single build plate, the ability to make your own profiles, etc.....

8. supernovae

supernovae Member

hmm, have you tried printing outside the iphone? i have very little interest in printing from my iphone right now.. i actually didn't even think of that being much of a reason to use this product but it's cool to see it coming along.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@John M. Fruits I think the profiles are just either Cura profiles or Simplify3D profiles. They should be modifiable on your PC with the appropriate host software and then should be transferable to the C2. The profiles are in their GIT repository if they do not have a link here on the site.

https://github.com/Robo3D/Slice-Settings

As much as 3D printer manufacturers want every printer to be exactly the same and every filament to perform just like the ones they tested with, this is simply not realistic. There will always be a need to tweak profiles. There needs to be an easy way to do that either on the printer directly or within the software the manufacturer provides. If there isn't then some other mechanism is usually found by enterprising individuals that own the printer (until they move on to the next best thing).

Upon a cursory examination of the iOS app, it appears it is just a pretty front end for the OctoPrint instance running on the printer. If your prints are not centered, I bet it is the direct result of OctoPrint not knowing the exact size of your printer bed or where the 0,0 coordinate is located. Easily fixed if you web into the printer and access OctoPrint's settings >> Printer Configuration and editing the Print Bed parameters.

#29 WheresWaldo, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    ronaldXJT likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Responding to the last comment on the kickstarter page.
    1. Different filaments have different properties and some ooze more than others. For nearly all filaments but PETG, if you extrude at the lowest possible temperature the oozing is minimized as well as most stringing. I say with the exception of PETG bcause PETG does not like cooler extrusions and is happier at the hotter end of it's range for increased intra-layer adhesion.
    2. The touch screen is a resistive touch screen not capacitive. It behaves like the old Windows CE smart phones or the Palm Pilot or anything with a touch screen from that era. All modern smartphones have a capacitive touch screen. Resistive screens require a firm press.
    3. I have no suggestion or answer as to why the screen gives a bit other than the normal top layer compressing just a bit. Again the result of being a resistive touchscreen.
    4. The Pause not working could be a peculiarity of the way the Marlin firmware works. In order to plan moves it has to buffer a number of commands to try to figure out the most efficient way of dealing with them. Sometimes in the case of a lot of small moves, it can be a substantial number. If you hit the Pause, it does not pause it immediately, but rather adds the pause to the end of the queue. So in some cases it will appear to lag while in others it might seem much more responsive.

11. Andrew Goren

Andrew Goren New Member

Yeah! For me, I can't get the supports removed from my prints.

12. John M. Fruits

I went into the Settings (Robo C2 Profile) and the build volume is set correctly (125 x 125 x 150mm) with a 0,0 origin set to the bottom left corner.

So, I am still not sure why the prints are not in the center.

However, I he'd hear back from Robo3D (great customer support!) and they informed me the windows software went live this morning, and the Mac is following.... (but no ETA as of yet).

As far as the centering, he said "We will have a new update today"

13. supernovae

supernovae Member

Oh, that explains the iOS printing :) thx!

14. JjD

JjD New Member

IMG_0447.JPG
    Wood PLA from ROBO 3D web site

I've tried to load videos but it's not working.

15. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Getting ready to do some serious printing there!

As a side note, I've tried Robo PLA in black, white & silver on a Robo R1+. Each had a different optimum temperature, so I would run some small parts (I use 10mm cube model for dialing in my settings) before trying a new filament on a large part.

16. JjD

JjD New Member

Yes. True, you have to have some good lung power.

17. John M. Fruits

I downloaded Cura and it recognizes my printer.... but it apparently is looking for an API Key. Does anyone know what this would be?

18. John M. Fruits

basically, I have a grey question mark over the printer, and at the bottom of this page it says "printer does not accept commands with a grey pause or abort key... but nothing works. but,If I go to the "manage" printer page, and connect, it says I am connected, and if I hit the webpage button, it takes me to the octoprint interface and from there, I can move axis's

19. JjD

JjD New Member

Couldn't load the videos

PROTOFACTOR INC likes this.
  20. PROTOFACTOR INC

PROTOFACTOR INC New Member

just post a link to a you tube or vimeo video.