1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer's won't print from SD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys, I have been having this issue for some time and it seems to have no rhyme nor reason. Routinely I will have a problem printing from the SD in the LCD. This does not happen all of the time and is very inconsistent. I thought maybe it was the SD cards, so i purchased a new pack of SanDisk good SD cards and tried it. It worked for a short time (a few days) and then had issues again.

The weird thing, sometime if I unplug or turn the printer off for several hours and then try again, it will work. This happens with both Robos I have plus the Monoprice. Any thoughts as to what my be causing it? I am using S3D by the way. I have not, and maybe I should, tried slicing with MC and see if I have the same issue. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Are you disconnecting the pc to make sure it is related?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yep. Sure am. I run them completely disconnected when possible. That's my preferred practice. I only connect them when they won't print from the SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then it isnt the slicer. Maybe a bad sd card .. worst case the card reader or the ramps.

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

All three though? And not consistently. I have also changed out the SD cards - which worked for a couple of days and then the same issue.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds more like a flakey card reader or the ramps.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have similar issues when using a cheap card reader (hooked to lap top). Using a nice one, or micro SD cards into a std SD holder is ok for whatever reason.

I think the cheaper card readers (not saying yours is cheap) stretch out and dont make good contact then its hit or miss, some days are better than others.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Ravitch

Ravitch New Member

My Robo 3D R1 Plus that's just 2 weeks old to me and my Qidi both do this consistently. A hard power reset does the trick in fixing it almost all the time. I've been tempted to yank the card readers out and see if they were made in the same Chinese factory, because it sure isn't the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks guys - other than the formatter that Waldo recommended - I have literally tried just about everything. Very inconsistent. Even with brand new, good quality cards, and multiple card readers attahced to the PC. That said, I don't want to jump up and down too soon, but I might have it licked. I have always just removed the SD card from the PC and popped it into the LCD. I started "ejecting" the PC card from the PC and it has worked everytime on two of the three printers. Going to try on the MP printer shortly. Will post results!

11. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Was definitely the problem. Since I started ejecting the SD from the PC, all has been well with the force......Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.