1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Brittle Filament

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Allelujah, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Hello everyone, another question that I got on the mind. So I been cursed with the brittle filament issue with Robo 3D's filament, or at least the small 300g Blue PLA filament that came with the printer that is. I havent tried out the gold and black PLA filament from Robo3D yet out of fear that I will have the same brittle filament issue.

I Tried looking on the forums and people say humidity is a big factor, and due to living in Wisconsin, the humidity is always around 60-90%. I have tried storing it in a plastic bag with Silica gel packs and that seemed to help, although I dont feel like waiting another month to do prints. (Not sure how long it takes for silica gel packs to work on removing moisture from filament)

So my Question is, is Robo3D filament a bad choice to go with due to being brittle? Or did I just get unlucky with this roll?

Never had this issue before with brittle filament with my old printer from M3D (the only thing they had going for them). Their filament went on 2 years without breaking ever, So I was pretty shocked when my Robo 3D filament broke and didnt know why.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The sample bit of blue they send has always been junk (soaking wet with moisture) but the spools they sell are fine normally

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Allelujah likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For normal filament (abs, pla) I have never had issues even with the cheapest stuff I could find. Always get a decent brand name for the specialty stuff.

Allelujah likes this.
  4. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Ah alrighty. Thanks for the super speedy reply XD For the first couple months i just let my printer sit with the blue sample spool in a bag with silica gel packs trying to dry it out lol. Should i just not even bother with the sample spool and just switch to my Black or Gold filaments?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would suggest tossing the sample and go with a real spool.

Allelujah likes this.
  6. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

What are good brand names for filament. Im still fairly new even though I been at this for about 2-3 years XD

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well... IMHO the brand name stuff only matters for specialty stuff as I mentioned (wood, brass or other metal style, nylons, etc) . ColorFab, ProtoPasta, Taulman these are all good brands. I usually get my PLA from whomever has it on the best deal :)

Allelujah likes this.
  8. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty :D Well I will keep those brand names in the back of my mind for later when I want to experiment with other types of filament. Thanks again for the help and quick replies XD

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Keeping your filament stored sealed with desicant is a good idea when it is not in use. Once it gets wet it is difficult to get it back to "dry". Good luck.

Allelujah likes this.
  10. cosber

cosber Active Member

I've had problems with brittle filament but discovered it's usually only the first foot or so. I just bend the filament until it stops breaking.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes, typically the end of the filament is the most brittle unless its been left out. I've noticed on some random partial spools that its bad, so into a bag with a bunch of desicant, seal it up and wait it out :D

Allelujah and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

How long do you usually have to wait it out for @Geof

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats a good question. I normally have a few of each tyle and color so i just throw it in the bag and forget about it lol. Then a week or two later i run a job in that color /type and i go oh yea!!!! And get the partial spool instead of opening another new one

Allelujah likes this.
  14. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah, for the blue sample spool i had sitting in a a plastic bag with like 5 packets of silica gel/desiccant for a month and that seemed to help it for about 3 days of printing and then it snapped again. Then I posted this post asking about it lol Didnt feel like waiting another month for it to dry out enough to print XD

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

New spools should come sealed with desicant and dry. That sample junk is wet when you get it.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea so.... that blue stuff...i ran through the sample they sent after a year. Its horrible. Save it for a long time then run toys and junk with it if you want or just throw it away.

It is can worthy in my opinion lol. Can you make it work...yes...should you waste your time with it ? Up to you

17. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah I plan on trashing it, or recycle it not sure which to do with it just yet. But this morning i just put on my Clear gold filament that i got with the bundle of the Matercontrol Tablet and the Robo R1+ and plan on doing some prints with that. Hopefully that didnt come sealed wet XD

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ive never used the robo stuff, but i assume its decent

19. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Well like I always say, Only one way to find out.

20. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I moved to a nice top mount for my spools so that the "bending" is reduced as it feeds off the roll into the print head. Still breaks sometimes towards the end but with less bending I seem to be able to print more of the end of the rolls.

Allelujah likes this.