1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer How can I model extra strength into parts?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoshYourITGuy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

(Please move this to the proper area if it is in the wrong area)

I am modelling more parts as I have become more comfortable with SketchUp.

I had a thought though, how can I model in extra strength?
    A prime example is this part:
    [​IMG]

I want to add extra strength to the fins sticking up. If I print with say 3 shells at 25% infill, I will have those fins sitting on top of just 3 layers, pretty easy to snap off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I know I can set S3D to go to 100% infill starting at the layers the fins get printed, but again, it is still sitting on top of just 3 layers)

Is there a way to model the part where the fins are 100% infill from top to bottom, all the way through the part?
    The only way I can think of to do this is to make a "2 color" model and set the fin "color" to its own process with 100% infill, but that can be tricky to get it to work right.

Any thoughts?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Multiple processes are what make S3D rock even on single color printers. We routinely use more than one process with single extrusion. No issues to divvy up the models that way.

You might also want to post this in their forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you run into issues with multiples post that up and we can put our heads on it :)

4. JoshYourITGuy

Sounds good. Now I need to find a (working) tutorial on 2 "color" modeling in Sketchup. I tried it once and failed.
    I resorted to just having 2 STLs and merging them in S3D but trying to get them exactly where you want them is a pain.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am not sure how you would do that with S3D but I can tell you that Slic3r can be set up to print different sections of the very same model with different parameters. I would think with this you could print the area underneath the fins at 100% while the rest could be printed normally.

http://slic3r.org/blog/modifier-meshes

The best part is that Slic3r is free so you can experiment a bit and he has pre-compiled binarys for PC/Mac/Ubuntu

JoshYourITGuy likes this.
  6. JoshYourITGuy

I will have to look into this, this looks like a solution.
    I can make a tower around each pillar and set a modifier for 100% infill. That is a neat feature.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is a video tutorial on how to assign processes to areas of the model. Not at home so dont have the link. It was not on simplify site so google it

8. JoshYourITGuy

In the mean time, my brother thought of a workaround: Model a slot in each fin so there is a hole from top to bottom, S3D will then add shells around the hole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think S3D can only alter processes based on height. Slic3r can do it based on region. I know we all think S3D is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it can't and doesn't do everything well.

@JoshYourITGuy Then don't you have to worry about three prints and how it fits?

JoshYourITGuy likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Height and region.

11. JoshYourITGuy

Oh, sorry for not clarifying.
    The model itself has a through hole just in the center of the fins. like a slit from top to bottom.
    It is still one STL file.
    S3D then thinks this is a perimeter and makes shells around it from top to bottom, so pretty much making it 100% infill.
    That small slit combines with the larger nozzle I am running makes it seal up with no hole.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

most times when I have an issue like your describing the only real fix to keep the features is to move to a nozzle that accomodates the walls. ex. .8 mm nozzle has an ext. width of .9 .... .8 wall with a small hole will be lost in that extrusion width. know what I'm saying?

13. JoshYourITGuy

??
    Not sure I clarified enough.
    The original issue is that although I can have S3D switch to 100% infill from the layer of base of the fin to the top of the fin, the layers below will be less infill, so the fins are attached with only shells (3 layers in this case). I was wanting to see if there was a way to have the section below the fins 100% infill without having to increase the infill of the entire model.

The solution I have so far is to model a slit in each fin so it makes a hole all the way though, causing S3D to see it as a perimeter and therefor draw shells around the slit. This makes it almost 100% infill to the base where the fins are.

I am running a 0.6 nozzle, so the tiny slit gets sealed up and I do not see it, so this looks to be a good method. (For this model at least)

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Geof

Spot on. I like to call things like that impossible print sections :)

Geof and JoshYourITGuy like this.