1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PROTOFACTOR INC's C2's print results

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by PROTOFACTOR INC, Dec 22, 2016.

1. John M. Fruits

One more piece of info:

I scrapped the supplied build stickers (I had to squish so much to get it to stick that the print was pushing plastic around building the first couple of layers) and went with BuildTac adhesion stickers (I loved them with my older R1). Here is how I set it up, and I think it contributes to a good print....

I used the "z-offset" recommendations (brought up the platten until it just grabbed the sticky note paper (I could feel the tension but I could still move the paper....with a grip)..... then I hit the z offset button down (negative) three times. I tried 1, then 2 and finally was most happy with three clicks. I still get just enough "squish" for a good bond, but the parts just pops off when I am done.

They only offer a 6.6 x 6.5!option at this point, so I had to cut it down 1 inch each way, but you'll get a better looking bottom than what is supplied.

2. John M. Fruits

(Typing on my iPhone with big thumbs.....)

"They only offer a 6.5" x 6.5" option" (BuildTak)

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@John M. Fruits the difference you are seeing I believe is because the two printers in their default configurations are printing at two different layer heights. It looks like the R1 had a thicker layer height. That makes angled faces appear less smooth. The little bit of roughness on the sharp corners from the C2 could be the result of either an incorrect X and Y Jerk number or just a bit too much speed. You could always test this in the OctoPrint terminal screen by issuing an M205 command, alone will display current settings and as M205 Xn.nn where n.nn is the new setting for X and Y Jerk. Try something smaller than the original and see if it makes the corners sharper.

#63 WheresWaldo, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  4. Jeff Aronowitz

Jeff Aronowitz New Member

OK. I'm done with this crappy ROBO filament.

Four, count 'em FOUR prints have failed due to filament kinks. I've never seen anything like this in all the spools I've gone through. So annoyed/pissed right now.

Attached Files:

5. PROTOFACTOR INC

PROTOFACTOR INC New Member

I had a few of these but none of my prints failed because of this. Do you think it does something wrong to the feeder or something? Man I ordered 2 spools of their filament.... I really hope it's not gonna be crappy...

6. Jeff Aronowitz

I think it may have more to do with the spool size vs. the filament. I will say I've been printing with printing with new filament and have had no issues so far. Printing a 3DBenchy and will make a time-lapse once done. I'm going to try the ROBO filament on my other printer to see if I have any issues. Will report back.

7. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I'm new to the Robo world. I have a Makerbot 5th gen in my classroom, but went with the C2. I received it today and I have not had a successful print yet. Twice I have ran into the below issue where the test keychain is working and then their is buildup... what could be causing this?

Right now, I am printing the vase which seems to be going well so far. However, I designed a quick cup on Tinkercad and when I go to send the file from the app... it doesn't stick to the print bed. The test line does, but when it goes to start the cup, it does not print. Any recommendations?

Attached Files:

8. PROTOFACTOR INC

PROTOFACTOR INC New Member

Maybe try to slice it with a raft or a brim, to ensure adhesion to the build plate. Maybe the material is cooling too fast and can't stick well. Don't use all the fans. I'm far from being an expert but I never had this issue so far.

9. Stera8

Stera8 Member

Thanks for the advice. I haven't even changed any settings. It is frustrating. The other issue is that it makes a loud grinding noise.. I'm going to try to attach the video for everyone to hear. Below are my 4 test prints. All failed midway through. Unless support figures something out, I think I'll try to exchange it through Amazon (where I bought it) and if the next one is bad then I'll just return. I was so excited about the C2.

Check out the Youtube I posted with the grinding.

It is at 0:11 seconds.

Attached Files:

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Grinding noises are not good. I dont have a c2 so i wont be of much help but i have alot of printers and learned early on cold build plates are evil. Grab some build tak for adhesion, blue painters tape rubbed down with iso alcohal works well also. Contact robo direct as well as who you got your machine from. Robo will surely try their best to help remotely, maybe you wont be down that way?

11. Jeff Aronowitz

Ok, that grinding is due to a homing error. Either there is something blocking it from making full contact with the switch, or the switch itself is broken. Go into the wizards and try homing everything. If you are still running into this error, it is most likely an issue with the swtich.

12. Jeff Aronowitz

New video posted of 3DBenchy

13. supernovae

supernovae Member

Benchy looks really good. Was this robo3d filament? I wasn't able to listen with audio to hear if you specified that or not.

14. Jeff Aronowitz

Nope, it is actually with some cheap filament I have that doesn't print well on my other printer due to no temp control. The brand is ZIRO. It is tricky, but once I found the right temp robo has been doing just fine.

15. Stera8

Stera8 Member

Allen McAfee (VP of engineering) reached out on Youtube. He mentioned pulling the rods to reset it in place since it wasn't properly hitting the switch. Grinding noise is now gone.

Only issue now is that my prints won't stick to the tape they provided. I'm going to run to home depot and get some blue tape and see if I see a difference.

16. John M. Fruits

I wasn't having any issues with filament supplied by robo....so maybe just a few bad reels.....

I just loaded the machine with two different (generic) PLA's and also got equally good results...

Attached Files:

#76 John M. Fruits, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. John M. Fruits

More pics....

Attached Files:

18. Jeff Aronowitz

Ah yes, I saw that. I didn't think about the rods coming out of place, that would also do it. Oh, and have you tried messing with the temperature at all? That can also help with adhesion.

19. Jeff Aronowitz

New video:

IBot07 likes this.
  20. Chad Gasaway

Chad Gasaway New Member

Ok, this to me looks solid. I have been waiting to see what the R2 prints would like and was starting to feel uncomfortable with my purchase and considering the Prusa I3 mk2. Since you have posted this lattice cube I feel alott better.

Thank you so much for posting this. I would really like to get a closer look at your Benchy boat as well. It was a little hard to see the details on it. Some of the C2 prints with Benchy where pretty bad in terms of quality for the money spent vs what is available out there but yours looked pretty solid. I would be interested in hearing any tweaks you made to the settings to get the results.

Keep up the great work!!

Mik likes this.