1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D scanning with kinect 1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stargrove1, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Hello,

is anybody using a Microsoft kinect of the first generation to perform 3D scanning? I have tried some tools, only working one I found was scanekt, but in the freeware there is a limit in polygons of 5000 and a full license would cost 129€ which is to much if you just want to play around.

Has anyone experience with other tools?

2. Oldyone

Oldyone New Member

Hi,

I tried to use Scanect , Faro Scenect and Artec Studio 10 (30 days trial) about year ago. Scanect have minimal functionality in free version and you should scan the object in one session. But if you are just playing around ;) it's best choice i guess. Scenect and Artec Studio are more proffesional software and you should be prepared to spend some time learning how to use these tools. As long as I remember, It took me more time learning Scenect (and it can not work with the Kinect drivers, installed as part of the Microsoft SDK, so it require their removal and installation OpenNI drivers, otherwise the sensor will not be recognized). Artec Studio is more user-friendly software but you can use it just 30 days for free (If you are well versed in such tools, 30 days are enough for playing around). I used Artec Studio 10, guess new version supports Kinect too.

Stargrove1 and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Thank you for sharing your expirience. Ill try to check out Artec Studio.

4. Stera8

Stera8 Member

I've seen a tutorial on Instructables on how to use the Kinect for a 3D scanner.

5. supernovae

supernovae Member

Which USB adaptor are you guys using to connect the Kinect V1 to PC or are you using the Kinect V1 for Windows kit?