1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered First layer good, Second layer crap :-)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michele Beyer, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I'm printing with ABS and finally got the first layer to stick, but the second layer is a mess! Current speed settings are attached in a photo as well as what the print looked like.

I should be free the rest of the evening to discuss if anybody is available. I seem to be very inconsistent with printing at home (I'm an engineer and print a lot at work) but I'd really like to get this resolved - had the same issue a few months ago and haven't spent enough time with the printer to fix it.

I'm going to spend all the time needed to get this thing working again, I really want to print some projects I've been working on at home :)

Attached Files:

2. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

I've attached an image with many of my settings, thought this may be helpful. I'm not, in any way, a software person and starting to think I need to change that (not because I'm not interested, just haven't had the time to get into it previously). If anybody also has a good place to begin understanding the software on 3D printers, that would be awesome!

Attached Files:

3. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

A couple of thoughts:
    It looks to me that your nozzle is dragging the the first layer. I had this happen when my fan under the bottom was off and it overheated so it couldn't get the signal to lift the z axis. I plugged it in backwards ha ha.

You maybe too low on your first layer and z offset where it is digging in too much.

Your first layer height looks strange but I am not using MC but .04 seems low to me.

#3 Chuck Erwin, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Way to low.
    try 0.2 or at least 0.1

Not sure with mattercontrol either how that got that way, but manually change it or start a new profile.

5. Michele Beyer

Michele Beyer Member

Thank you Mark, I'm not sure why it was so low either (swear it was set to 0.2). But so far, I'm on layer 5 and no issues! :)

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.