1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Power Supply or Arduino?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Perry Genovese, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perry Genovese

So in the middle of a print I have run 100's of times my printer appeared to stop midway in the print....but I wasn't there at the moment it happened....looking back through the log it encountered an error, stated to correct said error, and run M999.....but otherwise shut everything down.....but the lights were on and fans running but everything was cold. I unplugged it and went to bed.

Thus morning I took it apart....Power Supply is outputting and greed LED is lit. 120V in and 12V out. On the Arduino board a green light flashes and goes out when I turn on power. I removed and cleaned all the fans and air inlets etc....good news is everything is much quieter.

SO I tried to run it....I started the hot end 1st so I could clear out the filament and as soon as it reached temp the printer went dark and shut off completely. As I stared at it baffled for about 2 minutes....it turned back on itself.

SO I decided to heat the bed 1st and let the program take the head to temp as it saw fit. The bed reached temp and it went black. Couple minutes later it turned back on without me touching it.

I searched through all the forums and could not find this problem description. I have never seen a power supply fail and then turn itself back on. I have no exerience with Arduino except for hooking them up to a designed application (I use them on my reef aquarium LED lights)

This 1st appeared last night. I have had the printer since last March I believe....its an R1 Plus so it has a fan on the RAMPS and the power supply already has an internal fan.

Appreciate any thoughts or direction

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Keep reading back until you find the actual error message. I suspect it is "Temperature fell too much during print" but you need to confirm that. Marlin is stupid since rather than repeating the actual error it simply keeps repeating the unhelpful "An error occurred"

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a handful of other errors that will shut everything off so you need to find the error message to confirm which one. The one I referenced is the most common. It is not normally a bad Arduino either :)

4. Perry Genovese

Hey Mark .... I just tried running it again to get the error. It powered down 3 times without giving any error at all. Finally I got the error you stated, Here's snippets of each time it turned off. Also attaching Temp Graph and you'll see it didn't drop. Very weird, I will say this. When the bed starts heating the LED lighting dims....when the head turns on and starts heating they dim more and almost flicker slowly.....something is causing a larger than normal load or the Supply can;t keep up with the demand.......

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, the dimming could be an indication of the power supply failing. However that may not be connected to the error.
    That specific error is aggravating. I have one Robo that routinely would get it and another that never does. In both cases they are running E3D hotends and the metal Stud thermistors (which screw into the heater block so NO WAY it is loose).

The power supplies are not expensive if you want to go and replace it.

30a (360w): https://www.amazon.com/EPBOWPT-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B01IMOS20A
    33a (400w): https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-AC110V-Switch-Supply-Driver/dp/B019RNKOK6

I would use the second one personally.

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for avoiding the TEMP FALL error, marlin is brain dead in how it ignores the temperatures during the auto-leveling routine.

You can try something like this as the startup code to help:

G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; home all axes
    G29 ; probe the bed
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait

This is simplify3d specific in how it gets the value of the temperature variable. Other slicers will have their own format.
    It uses: extruder0_temperature where others might use: temperature Check the docs for whichever one you use

Geof likes this.
  7. Perry Genovese

I actually use Simplify3D and thats in there. Very frustrating. So I guess I should grab a Power Supply and try it

8. Perry Genovese

Placed order for the 33A 400W you recommended. Due in Tuesday. Will report back. I need a 2nd printer though lol...can;t be down when there's work to do! Have a recommendation for something a step above these? :)

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Prusa machines are all really well done (some assembly required -- which is NOT a BAD thing.... you will know how to fix it)
    The I3 mk2 is really nice. http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

@Geof has more machines :) (a LOT more)
    He might have other suggestions.

edit: It is available assembled and tested: http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/53-original-prusa-i3-mk2-3d-printer.html

You will notice that the parts on the Prusa are pretty much the same as the Robo

#9 mark tomlinson, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can't suggest a robo like printer better than the mk2 machine @mark tomlinson mentioned above, I have one and it just works and well!

If you tell me what your budget and needs are I may be able to recommend other machines. If I have one of the machines your interested in I can print you a sample

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol I'm not "that" guy am I?

Rigmarol likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are now.
    Some folks collect 'cats' ;)

WheresWaldo, Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Fair point...not the crazy cat guy so im ok lol

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Perry Genovese

replaced Power Supply .... same error. Could it be a flakey thermistor? I don't want to keep guessing but there seems no smoking gun

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, I did warn you :)

Usually it is either the themistor loose or damaged. Sometimes it is due to too much air blowing on the hotend from the PARTS fan (which is supposed to blow air on the print, not the hotend). Try disabling the fan and see if that helps, if not it is probably the thermistor. Make sure it is firmly in-place and can not move.

16. Perry Genovese

Silly question .... how do I remove the thermistor? I see what looks like a brass tube and the 2 fine wires running into it. Is the tube threaded into the block? I see no clamping method....

note this is a stock hot end on and R1 Plus

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The R1+ has a set screw that holds the thermistor cartridge in place.

I do not know of a source for those themistor cartridges other than Robo so you need to contact them if you want a replacement.
    Other cartridge style thermistors are a different size.

If you just want to make sure it is tight then check the set screw. It probably is, but checking never hurts.

18. Perry Genovese

you mean the block holding the nozzle, thermistor and power wires is a single unit?

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, Most thermistors are a tiny glass bead... and fragile.
    Robo switched with the R1+ to a canister type.
    So the thermistor IS the brass tube.
    There is a set-screw that holds it in place.

If it is in place then it is more likely the thermistor is faulty than loose/out of position in teh heater block.
    The heater core is not part of the thermistor. The heater block is not part of the thermistor and the nozzle also is not part of the thermistor. The nozzle, the heater core and the thermistor are mounted into the heater block.

Here is an example of the heater block: HeaterBlockAssembled-1000x1000.JPG

20. Perry Genovese

Thats what I thought but the only set screw I can find is the one that holds that assembly to the heat sink

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.