1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Power Supply or Arduino?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Perry Genovese, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a hexagon at home I'll try to remember to add a photo. If you look at the bottom of the block where the nozzle threads into the blow there is a set screw there (directly under the thermistor). Thats how they secure that canistor style. Getting from Robo is your only option as I was unable to locate a 3rd party supplier if your wanting to replace it or get a spare. I ended up with 3 hexagons before I finally upgraded the hotend to fit my needs. All of them from Robo (cheapest place I could find for the full hotend).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Perry Genovese

yeah I'm waiting to hear from ROBO

4. Perry Genovese

helps when I raise up the head and can see underneath it :) Found the set screw...What are these supposed to read 100k?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, approximately.
    Will (obviously) vary by temperature and thermistor type, but it will be ball-park 100k with a meter.

6. Perry Genovese

I just can't believe this is tied to a complete auto power shut down.

Geof ... $2k-5k ... rigidity, speed, resolution, accurate mating parts

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The temperature fall error is a safety 'feature' that was added to MARLIN to kill the printer if it suspects there is a thermistor/hotend problem. So if it thinks the thermistor is flaky it will absolutely terminate the print with prejudice.

8. Perry Genovese

I like the safety feature ... I don't like the support of the problem lol. No parts listed on the website and to your earlier point you have to get it from them so I couldn;t find it on Amazon.

Is is flakey though....i coaxed it into printing a 50 minute print and made it through.....but the entire time is was readin 234C when it was set for 245 (PETG).

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is likely a defective/cracked thermistor.
    Even though it is protected in a metal sleeve the actual thermistor is still just a tiny glass bead.

I can't begin to speak for how Robo manages (or doesn't) their spare parts. I will say that apparently if you call in they can order/sell you parts not listed on their website. Worth a try. Either that or you convert off of the custom hexagon. That is not for everybody, but a lot of people have.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

what?

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just read your original post and you mention a complete power shutoff, Since Marlin cannot do this on the Robo the problem needs to start with looking at an under-performing power supply. Just because it outputs 12v with no load doesn't mean it works correctly.

Then I see you replaced the P.S. I think the two issues you are having is unrelated. Temp failure can also happen if your temperature deviates too much from what Marlin thinks it should be holding.

It either thermistor is flaky, either bed or hotend, any fan blowing on the bed or the hotend might make enough of a difference to cause a fluctuation and an eventual error.

12. Perry Genovese

you asked what I wanted to step up and you would make a recommendation maybe....

13. Perry Genovese

you failed to read the entire post as well because I ordered and replaced the power supply and its still happening...hence we are now looking at the thermistor with no way to know except trial :)

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I edited my post as you were replying to it.

Perry Genovese and Geof like this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ah gotya.

so in order of my machines (keep in mind I bought these for my needs)

800.00- Kit- Prusa MK2 (900 fully assembled...I think) - Basically the same machine but a bit less work with more readily available parts :D

1800.00- Zortrax M200. Great Machine, plug and print. Not really a PLA printer (NOT ONE lol). But very little controls available. Its sold as a 3D Print system. All prints are done on a raft (not my favorite). Great production machine...I have alot of them.

2540.00- BCN Sigma. Dual Ext. Set up. Very difficult to do dual materials but once you figure it out its awesome. Has great mechanical accuracy. Printed parts fit better on that machine than others. 3mm Filament. (Edit: This machine is CRAZY loud, not for everybody)

3000.00- Ultimaker 2 Extended + - Tall build volume, robust machine. Great accuracy. 3mm Filament. (Ultimaker 3 and extended, and 2+ are also an option but you need to find to fit your need).

These listed are the "different" style machines that I consider more robust that I have purchased for my 3D print service. There are MANY others and I have quite a few others but not neccessarily ones I'd recommend without alot more information as what you want to do/need to do and with what material/s.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The UM2 is a really nice machine.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It truley is. fantastic prints off it. Hard to get use to firmware controlled temperature, but its easily adjusted via the LCD.

18. Perry Genovese

Thanks Waldo .... I have made no changes to this printer since I bought it other than to make sure the bed is always level and I use S3D software. So there's been no new fans added and I checked and I have had it for almost a year now...Feb 2016 and its been fine until now. I have made hundreds (probably more) of prints and this was suddenly....boom....goes dark out of the blue.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

....goes dark....like everything is off including the LEDS or you just get the temp fall error?

20. Perry Genovese

It shuts down 100% everything....cycling power supply does nothing. The error you eventually find if you are there when it happens is the temp fall error. When its ready it allows the power supply to turn itself back on. Usually 2-3 minutes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.