1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

30 second enclosure for free? cheap anyway

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ben R, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

SO, as most of my prints are about the size of .. i don't know.. not very big, and I'm cheap, to prevent drafts, I just took a piece of PLA plastic from, in this case, the wrapping around a set of wrapping paper for christmas. Clear, flexible. Then I cut it to drape over the robo, taped it in place, and its been there since november.
    cut it so it barely drags on the print bed. tape it so it doesn't become a bellows, but not so tight that the occasional long part can't push it a bit out of the way.

Yes, I've had to take it off for a couple things, but 99% of the time, it does not come in contact with anything.

enclosure.JPG

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I'm twisting it so you can see it. It's literally recycled garbage and a bit scuffed up. but its plenty transparent enough to monitor your print through.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I hope you print small things only :)

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

it depends on the shape and placement. I printed this with the plastic cover on.. In ABS.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:637868

The base is 200 mm diameter, the "tower" is 100... height is 200mm or thereabouts. I designed it to be basically, as large as the printer could print a bird feeder of that style.

Did it touch the enclosure? yes. Did it work perfectly.. yes. Its flexible... like a curtain, you know... but it doesn't snag like a curtain. If you're printing 200mm cubes out of nylon? well, then you might want to try something else. I've only ever removed it for printing PLA.

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

actually you know what? I do mostly print things the size of an iphone or so.. but I usually keep the plate pretty full. If I go to bed and have work the next day, I set it up with a 24 hour print. IF that means 15 items... so be it. SO.. no huge things, but yea... things push into the cover daily. no problems.. no warping. And most people are printing a lot smaller than that most of the time... judging by their pictures.

6. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Defendermd, I really like this idea, could take a picture that shows the entire front and back of your printer.
    Do you have any more 30 second ideas

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

hard to get a good shot of it. it kind of disappears in photos. Aimed it for some good glare... you can get the idea... plastic curtain... taped on top and pinched under my spool holder. taped/creased strategically for the proper drape. Can get in the way when cleaning or maintaining, but easily just pinches out of the way under my holder or tapes out of the way.

Last one is my .. well... 3 hour ramps fan "upgrade"... I say "upgrade" sarcastically as it probably doesn't NEED one.. but.. I like it cool.
    Used my feet...http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:641347 and glued a 120mm fan into the corner under the ramps. hooked the power straight to the main board power.

this is pretty useful too... no support for the board. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:371574

Attached Files: