1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

32-Bit Heart Transplant for the Robo R2

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Jerome Helbert

Since I last posted a description of my printer, Klipper came out with their USB to CAN bridge feature, which allowed me to use the Octopus itself as the CAN transceiver instead of the CAN Hat on the Pi. I looks like BTT configured the SKR 3 EZ and either USB or CAN, so you won't be able to use the bridge and would need a dedicated CAN Hat on the Pi.

I can round up design files to send your way, but in the meantime here are the primary components that I have in my system and that the 3d models are designed to use. You would only need them if you wanted to use all of my custom plastics:
    • Bondtech BMG for Mosquito
    • Precision Piezo Orion kit
    • Slice Mosquito
    • Delta 4510 PWM Fan
      • This is a pretty custom form factor fan, but I've not yet completed my redesigned printhead plastics that would use a more generic 5015 sized fan
    • CANBus adapter for your RPi
      • I went with a Waveshare CAN HAT, but there are plenty of other options.
      • I don't have any custom 3d plastics for it so it wouldn't affect any of the stuff I plan to provide.
    • I also switched to a 24V internal supply. I went with a Mean Well LRS-350-24 to have some level of confidence in it, but you can choose what you want.
      • I don't have any custom 3d plastics for it so it wouldn't affect any of the stuff I plan to provide.

#21 Jerome Helbert, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    LordPeq, mark tomlinson and tkoco like this.
  2. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

Thank you! I’m getting marginally better at modeling some solutions for my planned upgrades. I have some KP3’s that are currently self replicating so my R2 is going to get some upgrades next

3. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

@Jerome Helbert

I have gathered most of the stuff I am planning on using for the rebuild.. I Appreciate your feedback and help!

Power:
    Mean well 24v PSU
    Switched outlet
    Heavy duty MOSFET for the bed
    Separate PSU for the Raspberry Pi 3

Control:
    BTT SKR 3 EZ
    Raspberry Pi 3B
    BTT U2C V1.1 for CANbus control
    BTT EBB36 for CANbus tool head

Motion:
    BTT S42C Closed Loop Stepper Motors for X and Y, LDO for Z

Firmware:
    Klipper

Interface:
    Fluidd

Structural Upgrades
    Carriage from Weston with new bronze PTFE lined bushings.

POSSIBLE UPGRADES:
    Since I haven’t torn this down yet and I am currently using this printer and four KP3S’s to print the component I need at the moment, but I plan to thoroughly inspect all linear rods…. I am TEMPTED to replace it or redesign the system but I am torn.

So… how’s that? Again, thank you so much!

4. LordPeq

LordPeq Member

Credit to @Lance Weston as well… I think he has been a true innovator for this platform and I am happy to use his designs.

mark tomlinson likes this.