1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

32 Bit Ramps Board ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Steven Stowell, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Steven Stowell

Steven Stowell New Member

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I saw that when it started. I like the Ethernet, 32 bit and faster processor. However I'm not sold on smoothieware. I really like the latest Marlin and without Mesh and some of the other features I've recently implemented, I would want to change. The price isn't too bad either.

3. Steven Stowell

I also run Waldo's newest firmware and have seen major improvements in my prints. I just got the IR sensor from Printed Solid but I need to rework my x cartage for it. I designed a modular x cartage witch allows me to quickly swap the Titan/V6 out for Bowden volcano but need to do some tweaks after testing it for a few weeks. I need to reread the thread on the IR sensor.
    I may go ahead on this board for my next printer. I am thinking a delta.

4. danzca6

If you need to figure out the firmware for the IR let me know. I am running it now. Only really good for homing Z with MESH but when doing ABL it was fantastic.

Yeah I have been thinking of getting the board just to try out. I have several other projects in the works it might fit well with. I see they even have shields for laser and cnc in the works. Not sure what the final retail will be on these. I might just wait to see and save my money until I really need one.

5. Steven Stowell

Thanks and I will take you up on the help when I can get to it. Got a few projects to finish first. I have ordered new rods and bearings for the x and y axis(the stock are a little soft). New silicone heater and MOSFET module for the bed. I have the parts for the run out sensor but I may add it on the Octopi side.
    A few weeks ago I installed Ramps board in one of the cheep 40w Ebay lasers for a vape shop. The stock board is crap and its locked to some ugly software. I installed Inkscape and set it up so they could direct engrave. The little 40w lasers are not too bad after you tweak them a bit. Just have to remember the laser tube is a 35w tube. His tested at about 27w out of the tube and 22w past the last mirror.
    I have the 50w Ebay blue box lasers and it too was over rated on power but has a better control boards. I get about 32w to the cut surface. I got to make some copper mirrors soon.
    I strapped a 500mw 405mn laser to the printer a few weeks ago to test and it did ok as well. Way too low power to do much more than light engraving. You can get 5.5w modules.
    I liked the laser on the printer better because I was able to use standard gcode but didn't like the smoke in the RoboCase or stray laser from bounce from the bed. So you could add a laser to your printer for less than $300 that could light cut and engrave.
    https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1503
    http://www.banggood.com/445nm-5_5W-...er-Cutter-Engraver-p-999283.html?rmmds=search

6. danzca6

Nice! I was going to try that next, but have been happy with it on the ramps side for now.