1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

330SC's printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by 330SC, Apr 6, 2014.

1. 330SC

330SC Member

Very pleased with my printer although I couldn't help but tear it apart and add some personal touches.
    I think the machine works well as delivered and is an excellent value but my interest is in small, accurate and highly detailed parts. The mods I made were aimed at leaving me with the challenge of finding optimum settings and not having to worry about machine accuracy /repeatability
    Mods-
    -Change to chromed linear shafts for precise fit in linear bearings (no more X axis carriage slop)
    -added setscrews to X axis shaft lugs to keep shafts parallel and rigid
    -sheet metal Z axis shaft supports
    -8x1.25mm Z screws that I painstakingly straightened
    -machined solid, threaded rod-stepper couplers
    -completely squared all axis'
    -new bed standoffs
    -sheet metal spool holder
    -XXL LCD controller with printed enclosure
    -sheet metal leg lifts for LCD clearance
    -E3D hot end
    -extruder lighting
    -cooling nozzle (in development)
    -Y axis upgrade will pretty much be icing on the cake

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

WOW. Holy cow.
    Sooo... yeah, I'm going to go package and bundle up my stock everything printer to mail it to you... I'll just give you my paypal password and you have fun with it. Kay?:D

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Awesome stuff man. Love the attention to detail. You must have some machining experience :)

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Very cool. One thing is that set screw on the Z nut in the first photo defeats the purpose of the floating nut feature. Any problem with the Z limit switch (or cockpit error) is supposed to make it just "throw the nut" instead of having the stepper try to drill down into the bed.

5. 330SC

330SC Member

I'm really impressed by what the guys have produced. They couldn't even come close to the current price if they did all this set up work, yet it still functions out of the box and if owner wants to spend a few bucks and a weekend tweaking everything they can have a tight machine. The foundation is there. Way better than a raggedy old Mendel made from conduit imop

yup. and this is way more fun an a lot less work

Steve,I did this to keep the nozzle from riding up on cured filament i.e. indicating settings are incorrect. The set screw is just tight enough to indicate this but loose enough to release the nut before cracking the bed (maybe:)) . Glad you brought it up though. As I'm sure ya know the setscrew on the nut is probably not a good idea unless the threaded rod is very straight or one might see the X wobble too