1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D Printed Birds' Nest....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by blykins, Nov 15, 2017.

1. blykins

blykins New Member

Ok, so twice in a row I have come into work to find the printer in the state as shown in the picture.

This is a 4d5h print. I get this coming into the 3rd morning each time. Unfortunately, I have no idea on what's happening. The front hot-end magnetic cover is always off. Extruder temp and bed temp are what they should be.

The last time it happened, I completely deleted the file, brought up the solid model in Inventor, and exported it again into the STL format, thinking that I had a corrupt file. Obviously that isn't the issue.

I always come in to the printer moving as it should, with the extruder about an inch over the part and dry filament going everywhere....

Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jscottb

jscottb Member

*Some* of it looks like there was a clog, but usually not quite that much. Heat creep maybe? What the extrude and he like after? Do you see a lot of grinding on the filament?

You may want to turn the cam on for time lapse.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Could be a micro-clog in the nozzle or incorrect intra-layer adhesion What material are you trying to print?

4. blykins

blykins New Member

I can print a sample immediately after finding it like that and it's fine, so I don't expect a clog.

It's PLA.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to suggest that you take a paper towel and place a drop or two of cooking oil (not olive) and then wipe it along a section of your filament about a foot in length. This will help 'season' your brass nozzle. It is similar in principle to how you would season a cast iron skillet. PLA is a strange type of filament that actually becomes stickier when heated. That might be all that is necessary to eliminate your issues.

6. blykins

blykins New Member

I would normally agree with you, but it had been printing for 2 days straight, even after having printed other small parts. Again, this is the second time that I've printed this part and it has failed at the same spot both times.

7. jscottb

jscottb Member

If you can figure out what layer it was or close to, try chopping the part up to print from that point and see what it does. I know thats not what you want to do on a nice big printer :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, but that isolates it to a model issue or a mechanical issue so -- good idea.

9. blykins

blykins New Member

Gonna try it.