1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D printed Face Shields for COVID-19 care workers

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Mar 20, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Found this outfit is making 3D print files available for those willing to contribute to local, or other, health care facilities that may be running short of face shields.

https://budmen.com/

Only the Visor and "strap clasp" are actually printable with other supplies being needed, from some source or another. But, it is something.

I've had no trouble printing the clasp, but the visor has failed badly. It may be hitting the X limit and/or losing steps as layers seem to offset.

I cannot seem to rotate it to print "long ways", using Matter Control. Also have Solid Works, where it load the stl file and renders, but, so far, I have not tried very hard to modify it there, as, frankly I find it a bit frustrating to use.

Anyway, this is here for what it is worth.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. P1RATA

P1RATA New Member

Another, very valuable piece of PPE equipment that we can use our printers for are surgical masks. There is a thriving grassroots program that you can donate your prints to. They will even provide a receipt in kind for tax donations records.

Check out the link: www.makethemasks.com

I applaud how thorough they've made this program and how eager they are to share the methodologies with the rest of the world!

3. joea

joea Active Member

When I was unable to successfully print the face shield, I became aware of the link you posted and tried it. In my case, it uncovered a flaw in my R1 that I am about to correct. Hopefully.

4. Joseph m mc farlan

Joseph m mc farlan New Member

keep at it I was able to find the stl for SMP Face shield rev3_0 and was able to get it to work

5. Joseph m mc farlan

Joseph m mc farlan New Member

I have tried all these, I found by reducing the raft I could get it to 110%

6. joea

joea Active Member

After much maintenance, replacing y bearings, belt and "tracking", Y stepper driver, I still get a failure about 3 hrs in.
    While, to me, it still suggests a Y problem, perhaps more experienced eyes can tell something from the pictures. 20200410_094155 (Small).jpg 20200410_094003 (Small).jpg

7. joea

joea Active Member

I am considering replacing the X bearings as they are likely the same age as the faulty Y bearings I replaced, that looks like a much bigger job I would rather not undertake right now.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is more work as you have to rig a tool to press them out. Not a huge challenge, but if they are still working just lubricate them and leave it for now. The alternative is you can print an entire new carriage and just press new bearings into it and at some point swap the entire thing :)

9. joea

joea Active Member

X does seem to have a suggestion of "tight" or "hang up" areas, so I popped off the belt and the carriage moves freely, but it does feel a bit "notchy". Not much, but detectable.

Looks like such a big job, may as well replace the threaded rods with lead screws at the same time.

Think I may just lube the bearings best as I can and replace the X belt for now.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have found that lithium grease (lithium lube) works best on the bearings (it is all low-speed motion)