1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3d Printing As A Middle Step

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NickW, Dec 18, 2013.

1. NickW

NickW New Member

I thought I would ask a question or two. How many of you have thought of using a 3D printer to create models to create molds? Or more generally what are some of the things you may want to do with a 3d print other then either use or decorate directly after printing? Someone recently mentioned using 3d prints to create molds and I kind of slapped my head saying "WOW that is fantastic idea that I could never have thought of!" I know this might seem to go into projects but I am not necessarily interested in specific projects, but different ways of using 3d printing.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Talk to printed solid about this :) he does lots of molding.

I've also definitely had this idea. Just print instead of wax

3. polylac

polylac New Member

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yeah, I do a lot of this. :)

There are some great filament options available, but when you consider molding, you're really removing limitations.
    The lost PLA metal casting (which can also be done with glass and other materials by the way) is one, but you can definitely do what polylac suggested with some materials. Taking a positive and using it to make a mold out of a food safe silicone enables some cool options.

Really, if you set your imagination to it, there are a ton of awesome things that you can do.

5. Aspiring.Edifier

Aspiring.Edifier New Member

I've been thinking of printing out some forms or molds to make finished products out of polymer clay (like regular clay it can be shaped and then fired to finalize, but the firing temperatures are lower--a household oven can be used; e.g. EberhardFaber Fimo or Sculpey compound). I'm interested to see how it turns out.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

should work great as long as you've got some kind of a release. have you seen that there is an openscad mold maker on thingiverse for small molds like that?

2 people like this.