1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3D printing Flying things

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Soupaboy, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

hi guys, just a quick post for anyone looking at 3D printing a quad-copter or helicopter pieces.

I recommend you use 100% infill as those parts take a huge amount of stress and that that plastic has the appropriate shell thickness to hold.

i have printing the PL1Q_Vampire_the_3d_printable_quadcopter and it is awesome and PLA works amazingly but make sure your print can handle the stress.

if you are printing quad-copter parts and/or need advice or certain pieces you can PM me and i will try to help.

Happy printing AND flying ;)

2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. This is one on my list sometime in the future for sure so glad to know there is someone here for any surprises that may arise.

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Soupaboy, My son and I are also have a quad copter on our list. I have an original Draganflyer from about 15 years ago. It was the first gyro stabilized quad copter as far as I know but it's very difficult to fly. What MultiWii board are you using?

5. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I was using a kk2.0 as if last week but ordered a wultiwii pro with gps. I only used the kk2.0 as I was too lazy to upgrade but then the board shorted out and smoked one of my esc in the middle of a fpv flight :(

6. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

I'll hit up the Google as well, but do you know any good sites or forums off hand for figuring out what components to use with the printed frames? I really want to build one of these when I get my printer, but I have no clue about where to start on motors, control boards, props, remotes, FPV screens, etc.

7. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Hi there! I'm in the process of printing the PL2Q Hugin although am working through some printer problems with Jerry at the moment (extruder motor stuttering in some areas of the print bed). My 2 cents - I found that the Live Chat experts at Hobbyking were fantastic at helping to choose parts. The parts for the PL2Q are quite expensive and they helped me find good ones that were much cheaper. As I've never done anything like this before, I had heaps of questions for them and they never hesitated to help me out.

Just realised this post sounds like I work for them! I can assure you that I don't - just wanted to pass on some help! :)

8. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

Hi. I'm not sure where you are located but be carefull. I'm from the UK and when I ordered hobbyking stuff I was hit with £49 shipping and then another £80 import duties. Not too fun- be carefull when ordering from there :)

Just waring ya in case you are from the uk. :)

9. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

I'm in Australia - made sure I only ordered stuff from the Aus warehouse. But thanks for the heads up.

By the way - how did you go with the copter arms? I found they were really brittle when printed standing up - so using a remixed arm that prints horizontally. Although, when I tried to push the end in, that one just split along the layers too! Will have to file the end joints of the motor mounts down a little I think before I fit them.

10. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

thats weird. my vertical arms were vrry strong. i could not break them when i tried. are you using 100% infill? if you dont the whole thing will break. what material? i recommend pla and not abs. pla is stronger.

11. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

Yes using 100% infill but with ABS. I'm always confused by ABS vs PLA. I thought ABS was stronger - but you say no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

i thaught this to but pla is apparently more rigid. btw what flight controller are you starting with? make sure it is simple to use and setup like a k2.1 board or the kk2.0

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If strength is the key then something like nylon is a better choice.

14. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

tbh i dont want strong arms because if there is a crash then i much rather nave the arms snap then have a $40 motor+$50 ESC

15. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

i have the kk2.0 board - hope mine doesn't end up smoking like yours!

16. Voyager1

Voyager1 New Member

hey soupaboy - just wondering if you used support when you printed the body of the copter? It looks like it should need it...but I'm still quite new at this...;)

17. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

By body do you mean the top piece? Well anyway I did not use any sport but there is alot of bridging story increase that or work on it if your printer can't handle bridging

18. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about how cool it would be to make some sort of flying device once I get a 3D printer. Happy to see someone else is already working on it. I was thinking how cool it would be to 3D print something like this because making attachments, such as a camera holder or device to drop paintballs would be a cinch once you got the thing operational. This got me looking at some of swepets other creations too, he's got a few interesting things.

19. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

image.jpeg yeah he does, i'm glad that this post is helpful to people. this is a picture of what the quadcopter looked like before all wires were soldered together and all. now i am trying to glue it back together after my latest...floor encounter :D

20. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

i know its got missing motors and all, this picture was the only one i had left after transferring computers.

this is not scaled up so you can see how big it is compared to the motors on it but the ESC mounts are not the original mounts i had a BEC in my ESC and the ones that the creator was using were much smaller.

if you want a link to those ESC extensions, pm or leave a comment and i will try find them for you.