1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

500mm Z Mod - Stage 1 - Planning

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Fruition_Factory, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Fruition_Factory

After a weekend of exploring and tinkering, i have concluded that building risers for the cover to lift it that high is as simple as pressing print then getting crafty with some M3 screws, I have priced out the new linear rail, and acme lead screw to discover that it is not expensive at all. From the info i have gathered the factory steppers will turn a 500mm lead screw just fine.

I am down to the final stages of planning prior to pulling the trigger and ordering / printing parts. I am working on measuring for a cable chain / new wire harness that will accommodate that height. As with every major mod, it I learned quick its best to get some outside input prior to getting the tools out so......

Before I go nuts with this, can anyone think of anything i have overlooked thus far? As far as i see it its nothing more than new lead screw and linear rod, a new wire harness and cable chain, and 3D printing the risers to raise the cover high enough to accommodate the length. I have the version that has the Z stab's built into the cover.

If you see problems, or have suggestions, i would like to hear then now before i start shopping and chopping.

2. Corbin Major

Corbin Major New Member

I actually did a 600mm lead screw upgrade on my r1+, I can try and answer any questions you have. Also I could find my tinkercad files for the risers, they would just need to be loaded and have some of the middle cut out (or shrunk, as I cut the risers into three parts and stretched the middle and just reattached the end caps), so that you could keep the top.