1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

About to buy an R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanfish, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Hello everyone, I think i've narrowed down printers to the R1. I will be printing 3" x 1" x 1-2" tall blocks to located tubes for sawing. Currently we build these out of aluminum (about $10ea) but want to try to print them. Each block will have a .265" bolt hole and 2ea .251" Dowel holes to locate. I will more than likely print the .251 undersized and ream them to size. We set the aluminum ones off the tubes .003" to allow the tube to fit, does anyone see a problem with tolerances of the machine or any kind of warpage that we couldn't print these out of ABS with an R1? I like the build size and price and open source of the R1 but maybe i need to look at a more expensive machine. If i printed 18 of these at a time what kind of tolerance between parts can i expect on X & Y?

Thanks for any help

-Nathan

Here's an idea of what i need to print.
    Untitled.png

2. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

If you get everything calibrated very well (extrusion step per mm) I don't see that the tolerances will vary between models. However abs you will have to account for any shrinkage. You may want to think about other stronger materials also were you making this item from aluminum because you needed the strength? If so you may want to think about printing in nylon or possibly PET+ or XT

2nd though you can always just make a mold of one of your units and resin cast that would be even cheaper

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

3. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

interesting, i didn't think about different material to print with, I will look into those options! Will nylon or
    PET+ shrink or have any other problems? are they easier to print with? Making a mold is a great idea for our standard risers i will definitely research that some more but i will also need to print custom ones specific to a saw fixture, kind of like the one i pictured. So i'm not giving up on printing just yet.

Thanks for the input!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could even use a metal composite filament if you wanted.
    Certainly there are stronger alternatives to ABS that do not have the downsides of ABS.
    The ones @jtn7040 mentioned as well as Alloy 900 and polycarbonate, etc.

5. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Nylon will have warpage if printed too quickly and a low bed temp. PET+ and PETG will be a little stringy at times but I print out of it exclusively at this point.

I recently tries out some of that alloy 910 and its pretty much indestructible. Only failure was due to eventual delam. (Printed a 1 up rear sprocket for a 2015 R1 and it lasted for nearly a whole 60 seconds before it was unusable)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Brave man -- did you ride it ;)

910 is one of my favorites.

7. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Yup... It was my attempt to get it to the dealer so that they could put a new sprocket on since mine cracked... Made it all the way down the hill by my house.... It was not fun getting the bike back home

8. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

awesome info guys. Glad i didn't order the ABS right off the bat. I'm going to order the Robo from Amazon so i can have it tomorrow. Could anyone recommend filament that i could buy on amazon? I really need to do more research but want to mess with it this weekend so i have 2 hours to order everything. Thanks!

9. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Before you order it is there a frys electronics near you or a best buy?

10. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Justpla is pretty good PLA to start with. Cheap easy to print and great colors. I am not a big fan of hatchbox at all I've had some pretty bad spools from them (grey and black) I love the esun PETG it's pretty much my goto (may have to mod printer a little with the PTFE tube mod)

11. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

There's a best buy but the closest frys is about 3 hours away. Is there a better place to order. I don't mind spending more because i want it this weekend.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you must order the filament with the printer to play with, just stick with PLA.
    The 'sample' filament that comes with the printer -- throw away.

13. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Frys normally has them in stock (at least in dfw I bought all 3 of mine from frys) but frys had them on sale for 699 so you may want to check their promo codes (best buy will price match) but amazon does 2 hour delivery over $35 (at least here in dfw) but they won't price match

14. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

ok the closest frys is DFW not KC like i thought. I would probably make the drive to KC. I dont recall seeing that best buy had any in stock around here. I will order a spool of justpla instead of the ABS, I was just under the impression ABS was stronger or better material.

15. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Well strenght is relative.. You have more rigidity and less flex with PLA. So it will "snap" when it fails. ABS will flex for a bit and then begin to lose strengh. You would need to look at modulus and tenstile and possibly elongation values of your model to truly see what you could get away with. (There was a r1 at the dfw ((Arlington)) frys yesterday.)

16. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I guess I haven't done as much research on materials as i should have since i've been concentrating on the actual machine. I will play around with PLA and go from there. I wish DFW was closer but 5 hours wouldn't be worth it. I think i'm ready to order the R1 and a spool of justpla to start with. Thanks for all the help! Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

17. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Make sure you run calibrations first and do your extruder first. When you run your model through solidworks it can predict the values you need before your model will fail. Also look into getting simplify3d or at least get used to using cura or anything besides matter control ( supplied). And don't forget to update your firmware!

18. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

Ill check all that out. I will be building the parts with Catia if that makes a difference

19. jtn7040

jtn7040 Active Member

Anything newer than catiav5 if I remember correctly has a stress anaylsis tool.

20. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

one more quick question. I have PLA in my basket but should i just order a roll of PET+ instead? If i get PLA to print won't i have to start over when i switch materials?