1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adding a 3rd Printer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aznhlfan, Nov 13, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I know this is a Robo 3D forum, but I currently have 2 Robo R1 + printers and am looking to add a 3rd printer. However for the 3rd printer I am looking to add a Prusha i3 MK2. I have done lots of research, and watched lots of review videos on the Prusha i3 MK2, and it looks to be a great printer for the money. As far as the software and the hardware, it seems to use name brand items. I am not an expert by far on this, and want to get some opinions from this site as well, I have gotten nothing but great responses from the members here and think they could help with this decision. I am also looking to sell my Robo R1+, it prints fine, although I believe it is time to replace the hotend. It is the first edition of the R1+ so it is a couple years old. I have added a fan to the ramps board, a XXL LCD screen ( I love using the sd card and LCD screen to print from). As I know what I have in it, I am good at knowing what to sell it at, I am thinking the $200-$300 range but not sure, Does this sound about right?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then really it is an R1 or a Beta :) probably an R1

Make sure you list it correctly as the R1+ is quite different.

aznhlfan likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in the one you are selling. Would like to see some pics to verify the true version and condition. Not sure about shipping, that would be the hard part.

As far as the MK2, I think you will be pretty happy with it. They have a pretty big backlog right now. I think it is around a 4wk lead time, but they are pushing around 2000 printers out the door a week trying to keep up. @Geof has one and it's been a work horse in his running of production parts. I don't think you can go wrong with the MK2 for the price.

aznhlfan and Geof like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

R1+ refurbs are around 400.00 or so on ebay etc. The last robo I helped someone buy was around the 200.00 mark (R1+ with hexagon hotend still).

Selling used printers is almost not worth it :D. Almost better to keep it as capacity if room allows in my opinion.

I have the Prusa MK2. Its a good machine. I went the kit route and saved a bit of money. It just works and the mesh bed leveling and general function of the machine is great.

The one thing I dont like is the PEI sheet but it does work and work well, I'm just use to glass on all my other machines. Shoot me a pm if you want to see some things printed off it, I can do that for you.

aznhlfan and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks like an R1 with the lead screw update (basically the functions of an R1+) Hexagon hotend or E3D?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Hexagon

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you install the integrated lead screws on the robo ? Or are there couplers (I dont see couplers but figure I should ask)

at 200.00 I wouldn't be interested as it would cost at least 100 (guessing) to ship to me, but having the information laid out for others would be beneficial :D

9. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

There are no couplers, but that is how i got it from Robo.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

gotya. yea you have the functionality of the R1+, thats a good thing (and hopefully a generic ramps board still which is also a good thing).

11. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I had to change out ramps board, bought a kit from amazon that was refered to me on here. I cant remember the name, but came with Arduino, lcd screen, ramps.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So an R1++ :)

Geof and aznhlfan like this.
  13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That looks like a very early R1+ since it does have the aluminum quick release,not plastic, and came with the new leadscrew design. I think they didn't change the plate to have +PLUS on it until later.