1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adopt-A-Bot community school program

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

PLA is fine for most parts, maybe not the hotend in case the cold end fan dies, but most other things PLA works just fine.

Almost all my home brew printers were 90% PLA and the self replicating no heatbed adoptabots going forward will likely be reproduced in PLA at most schools :D

Self replicating was the plan and no heatbed pretty much kicks ya down to that option....expecially in a school scenario.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, PLA generally gets a bad rep :)
    Worst case something like a nylon if you really wanted something that would last foreva'

(you can often get Alloy910 to print on a cold bed too -- I have it working on my C2 most of the time. If the room is too cold then it get persnickety)

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Turn you darn A/C off! :D

I know that is impossible in central Florida.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not that brave :D I only do PLA on a cold bed. I'll likely add a bed heater of some sorts to my adoptabot to alleviate some headache for them.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats impossible anywhere! NEED AC lol. 70 is to hot ;)

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I was contemplating doing the same thing with a small heater mounted to the plate, but ran into a mental snag on the whole idea of swapping plates after sourcing some additional ones for them to use.

Probably better off just sourcing plates and coating each one with PEI on the print surface side if that doesn't interfere with the probe.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll likely design a thin alumnium plate the heater can attach to and do float glass ontop of that. I have no want to over complicate things :D. Even on my printers with removable beds I dont really ever remove them. To much hassle ;) :D

8. daniel871

I was thinking more in terms of having plates so that they can remove a plate for a kid to work on cleaning up/removing while the next kid started their print.

Having that work in practical terms for rural school kids though probably just means eventually having enough machines for a class.

danzca6 likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My thoughts as well. One isn't enough for a whole class, thats half the issue.

10. daniel871

Maybe if every kid was printing tiny things like benchies and Marvins or something, but even then you'd still need at least half as many printers as you have kids to get two prints done in a class period.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep that is the issue. Long print times, even on a small bed figure full size is going to be 4-8 hours likely. But I suppose thats easy enough problem to fix ;)

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can fit all the files and print them in under 14 hours with a .8 nozzle :D
    [​IMG]

danzca6 likes this.
  13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That will make it strong. What infill are you using? I did 55%

14. daniel871

100% or go home.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

40%. .8 nozzle will have majority of the parts being perimeter, infill is just for a bit of flex. Mine is going in CPE which is basically XT. Those parts are already boxed up to mail off to somebody so I'll restart the printer shortly and fire up the type a :D

100% is quite wasteful considering its a 3D Printer :D. I'd think 40% would be overkill lol.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. danzca6

yeah the MPCNC parts are mostly 55% infill. That gets way more stress than this little guy is going to have. I found a guy on Twitter yesterday that took an old wooden Printrbot machine (fishing line and sandpaper disks instead of GT2 belts and aluminum pulleys type old) and stripped the parts to make an adoptabot. Cool idea.

Also there is a part in the STL files to collaborate your printer for the hole sizes if you want. I've just been drilling where needed.

On firmware, I did see Brook mention on Twitter yesterday that he recommends using the version for the Printrbot Simple Metal and just use gCode commands to adjust build volume.

I mentioned to Geof yesterday that these motors may need some voltage adjustment with the drivers. Not sure how that is done on a Printrbot without pots. Maybe there is a way in the firmware or some gCode command? Anyone have experience with that on a Printrbot?

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Which firmware? Repetier firmware has a way (in firmware) to adjust output current on the Rambo boards (they support that). Not sure about other firmware flavors.

18. daniel871

You can't really adjust stepper motor voltage via Gcode unless you're using something that runs Makerbot firmware (that would be G130).

Might be worth a shot to see if they incorporated it into their custom firmware and see if it changes anything though.

For Makerbots, it'd be G130 X (1-127) Y (1-127) Z (1-127) E (1-127) with some value between 1-127 given for each axis.

Mcodes work if the pots are digital controlled though.

There is M906 & M907 where you specify the axis and then the current in milliamps (for M906) and straight up Amps (for M907),

M908 is another method, but it's a bit more dangerous as it expects the Pin value and then some undocumented current value after S.

So M908 P(pin number) S(electrical current number). Don't fool with this one, try M907 with Amps per axis first.

EDIT: These codes are recognized across the most commonly used firmwares, but which ones are best for a given machine depend more on how they're originally set up than anything.

danzca6 likes this.
  19. danzca6

20. daniel871

Huh. Looks like M907 behaves like G130.