1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved An SSD & video card with built in memory solved many printing issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BrooklynBay, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I've experimented with many different types of computers to run my Robo 3D R1 plus printer, and had variable results on print quality. Slower older models created frequent pauses during a print or the printer to run in slow motion every time something hard disk related activated. Adding more ram didn't make a difference. Tablets or Netbooks with solid state drives didn't have these issues so I took a chance with an SSD for my desktop computer. I was amazed that the SSD was the solution to this issue. It was the best upgrade for my old desktop. My Robo is now able to finish printing faster, and the print quality is greatly improved.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A better solution and cheaper too, run your printer untethered.with an LCD smart controller or a RaspberryPi running OctoPrint or Octopi.

Although an SSD is a good upgrade for almost any PC or MAC

3. BrooklynBay

After using the SSD with Matter Control, I've noticed that there is still a slight issue with the printer slowing down when I switch to layer view from 3D view. It's not as bad with the SSD so maybe it's related to video memory or the way Windows handles system resources.

4. BrooklynBay

My old Dell uses an integrated video graphics card. I had a spare video card from another computer. It's not a top of the line card but it has a built in fan & memory. I installed it, and it looks like it took care of the rest of the issues that I was having with the printer running in slow motion while switching to 2D or 3D layer view.