1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA annealing high temp PLA

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by joea, Jun 2, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Using Raptor HP PLA, "Dishwasher Safe" for use in a dishwasher

I don't have a dedicated toaster oven and do not want to risk befouling my main oven, as that has been warned against.

So my choices are, buy a new toaster oven and dedicate it to the occasional annealing, use boiling water with the part suspended above the bottom or trying a propane grill, out of door

I've read some caveats against the water bath, but a test today on some failed prints ended up being "in water" despite the "canoe" I built for it. I see no evidence of harm from that and so far, only a slight color difference. in annealed and non annealed parts.

Tomorrow I may test the gas grill, but kind of doubt I can keep the temp down to 100 C.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I went with a cheap toaster oven :) The downside with it was that temperature was not clearly marked on the controls so I had to use a thermometer to get the points I wanted and mark them on the dial.

3. joea

joea Active Member

And, so, do the caveats about :"never use for anything else again" really apply, or is that only for those still suffering a spousal burden?

I ask, as I have to go buy one, new, apparently and am debating getting one with more than minimal size and function.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not say that. You can still use it for a Toaster oven :) It is not like it gets contaminated -- here is the style I use -- not this exact one, but this style:

Sunpentown-SO-2000-Super-Turbo-Oven.jpg

Top pops off for cleaning and if you wanted to cook something else in it you could. The one I have fits a spool inside with the extra racks removed.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I haven't needed it in a good while since we got the workshop a dehumidifier :)

6. joea

joea Active Member

Ah, so you use it more for a filament prep than an annealing oven? Looks more like an "air fryer" to me. But what do I know?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not exactly an air fryer, but it works somewhat the same. I don't use it for annealing (because I don't do annealing) I used it for drying the filament. Like I said been shoved in the corner of the workshop for a long time :) The dehumidifier makes it moot (at least for that). I did use it once or twice for actual food :)