1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Anyone ever save a print after a power loss?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John in MS, Mar 24, 2016.

1. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Well I was here at the office and I get a call from my son who is on spring break. Seems he tripped a breaker in the garage and my Robo stopped 15 hours into a 26 hour print. I haven't seen the damage yet and won't for about another four hours, but was wondering if anyone has ever saved a print after a power outage?

My first thought is to measure the part completed and try to cut the model to the remaining part. But I was wondering if anything would be suggested? Thanks

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Your suggestion is the thing to do, then glue the pieces together.

Otherwise, scrap it and start over.

EDIT: Not even the $200k CNC machine we have at work can recover and finish a program that was halted due to a power failure, so the piddly little $800 Robo has no chance in Hell.

3. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Thanks

One can always hope for miracles

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Get a UPS with a large enough battery reservoir to run the Robo for an hour or so and you won't have to worry about breaker kickoffs ruining a print any more.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Thor

Thor Member

Depends on how big the model is -- if you can lower the Z without touching the model, you could save it this way (I've done this -- not usually for power outages, but if the nozzle gets clogged, clean off the model and start at step 3):
    1. Turn power on to the printer. Manually move the X/Y axes so that it won't hit the model when you do a Z home.
    2. Home Z (not X or Y)
    3. Raise Z above the model. Home X & Y (not Z).
    4. Clean the nozzle, and leave it cold.
    5. Use the software (LCD/Pronterface/?) to move to a spot on the model
    6. Decrease the Z little by little so you know what the height is.
    7. Raise Z by 5 mm.
    6. Start the heating of the bed and the nozzle.
    7. Edit the g-code, and delete all the lines before the Z height in step 6. Be sure to get rid of the homing commands!
    8. Depending on the g-code (if extruder in absolute), you have to add a code to re-set the extruder distance.
    9. Set speed to 40%, over-exstrusion to 150%, and tell it to print the modified file
    10. After the first 2 layers, change the flow ratio back to 100%, and resume normal print speed.

mark tomlinson likes this.