1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone have experience with Palette+ ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by John Wohlfeil, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

@John Wohlfeil what version Chroma and firmware have you been using? Pretty sure the current 2.2.1 / 2.2.0 have a bug and insert too small a filament once in a while.

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Quad color benchy running at the moment - perfect except that as usual one layer got messed up... frustrating.

Also very frustrating is the non-configurable speed the Chroma software decides to print the transition tower at is highly inappropriate - i.e. half the model print speed. I'd rather want it double, don't need it to be precise...

IMG_20171224_210652_1.jpg

IMG_20171224_210644.jpg

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Really very promising - just those 2 pesky issues with transition tower print speed and wrong color lines after the first couple of transitions of a print...
    (had to cancel at 98% because I was leaving for 2 days to xmas meeting...)

IMG_20171226_204951.jpg
    IMG_20171226_204958.jpg

John Wohlfeil and Geof like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is the artifacting on the sides of the benchy the R2 or the Palletes doing? Quite interesting to see the random bit of nonsense the Pallete is producing. I wonder why that is ?

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

What artefacts do you mean? if it's the ripple it wouldn't have anything to do with the palette so likely the printer, but it's basically invisible to the eye, just the photo somehow makes it pop up. It was printed fast too (60mm/s base, which was then sped up 150% at print time when I noticed the transition tower was printed at ridiculously low speed of 1500mm/s...)

There's also some different behavior between the filament colors even if they're the same brand, the yellow is obviously a little "strange", kinda more brittle and stringy. Less than the white that is a lot softer and oozes/blobs even when printed 20° cooler.
    I admit I didn't buy high grade when I had to get 5 rolls and expected to waste a lot in learning and transition towers - also I had used a full roll of their black PLA before that was great so I didn't expect that much discrepancy in their other colors.

Still happy with the result compared to what I see here and there.

Talking with Mosaic support about the issues, obviously taking time due to Xmas. Got a couple of suggestions for the faulty layers.

Geof likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The joys of multi-color printing.

I noticed that colors and whether or not a filament is naturally opaque can make a difference in temperatures needed to extrude ideally. For example, I use a lot of PETG from eSUN and if I run a temperature tower test on each color I routinely find that the opaque darker colors flow better at between 5 - 10°C higher extrusion temperatures. I thought at first I could use a single profile and thought it an anomaly, but repeated tests showed the same results. It doesn't surprise me that you are seeing different effects using different colors.

supercazzola and Geof like this.
  7. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Benchy looks great!

I think all of my problems were with the set up. I am using PLA from the same manufacturer (Hatchbox) and I only had those problems setting up the printer in Cura. The one other thing I spent a lot of time on was "fine tuning the splices" on the Mosaic Palette+ I ended up increasing my splice temp and splice time quite a bit to get the welds to be constant during the long print process. I had quite a few prints fail half way (not an accurate measure of time), because the welds would become brittle and snap easily, causing misfeeds and having the filament "run out" because a weld had broken.

After some time away, I'm excited to get the machines running again. I'll keep posting my successes.

8. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I am using Ultimaker Cura 3.0.4 with the printer set up to use 4 different extruders.

Meanwhile, I had been successfully printing one color since receiving my Robo R2 - using the Robo version of Cura, and I quickly started upgrading with every Cura update moving through:

Cura 2.5
    Cura 3.0
    Ultimaker Cura 3.0.4
    Ultimaker Cura 3.1 - I didn't get this new version set up and I haven't printed with it yet.

As I mentioned before, Simplify 3D 4.0.0 works for me with Robo R2 and Mosaic Palette+

When setting up Simplify 3D 4.0.0 I loaded the Mosaic Palette+ Factory file provided and the set up was completed easily and the Mosaic keychain prints worked perfectly, and eventually the Snowman.

The Mosaic Chroma software takes the slice files from Simplify 3D and prepares to send them to the Palette+ and R2 respectfully. There are some "adjustments" in the transition size/rate which they say can improve the transitions between colors, I just haven't spent any time fooling with these.

Looking back at my snowman, there is a lot of room for improvement in the transitions between colors. Or course I understand, black to white and red to white - probably anything to white - will always be challenging.

Personally, I like Cura better than Simplify 3D. The biggest thing for me is how Cura has the object measurements available on the main screen. So downloading files from Thingiverse (or other) and quickly scaling to a size that may be appropriate is simple and easy.

I still can't find out how to measure the size of a model in Simplify 3D - no less have these settings one screen.

Attached Files:

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Double click on the part.

Clipboard01.png

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@John Wohlfeil You really might want to watch their video series they have on their support site.
    You can quickly learn all of the features and usage for Simplify3D :)

John Wohlfeil, Geof and Kilrah like this.
  11. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

Of course I will watch and read all I can.

My experience with Simplify 3D is just my initial set up and printing using Mosaic Palette+ , and thats all. After wrestling with Cura, the printer set up, and slicing with Cura for Palette+ , I jumped into Simplify 3D, paid for it, and ran a few test prints and they finally worked for me.

Thats it.

I've been away from it all with the holidays and the new year.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Any questions just ask! Someone is always lurking to lend a hand if something is confusing.