1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Anyone have tips and settings for the latest Cura?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jOeBrokeIt, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

I just downloaded the latest Cura build and there is no way for me to set the bed dimensions and other settings, or I cannot find anywhere to properly configure it for my Robo 3D R1 Plus.

If anyone has any guides or instructions and such please let me know. I think it is time for me to move on from Matter Control.

Thanks,
    Joe :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Thanks, I will look into that. I did not find anything when searching.
    It looks as if the setup is based on the earlier version as we get no option in the new build to define the bed dimensions, but I will look into it.

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'm away from my system right now, but I seem to remember that Cura now has R1 as one of the printer profile choices. It didn't used to so older instructions may not reflect that.

I believe I adjusted the bed size a little bit to better match the true dimensions too. I know I put in Max width 228mm, Max depth 254mm, and Max height 203mm.

Are you certain you downloaded the latest version? Mine is version 15.04.6

I'm still learning the software, I normally use MC but am moving forward with Cura so I could be off base and incorrect.

5. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

You didn't download 2.1.3 did you? If you did go back to 15.04.6

6. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Crap! Yes i did download that version as that was their newest but seems really limited in its configurations.
    Ok ill download the 15.04.6
    I am at work so I will be unable to set this up properly until I am off.
    Thanks a bunch for the help. :)

7. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

I do like matter Control and its easy to use interface and settings. Although it may not be as beefy and get the best results as other slicers.
    But i really want to get the best possible prints from this printer, and I know slicers are part of the build quality.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The slicer is a huge part of that.
    The more complex the print the more important a good slicer is.

When you can afford it look at Simplify3D.

9. Rigmarol

I really like MC too, but only because of how easy it is. at first new users don't need the excitement of "choices" LOL. It only makes them crazy and what to throw their great new printer out a window when they change too many settings then discover there is no "factory reset". LOL at least that was me.

I also bought the T10 Matter Control tablet and have to say it is great for what it is. If I could load up other software slicers programs on it then I'd be very happy but alas, MC is the only one at this time.

The wife is enjoying the printer (now that she has someone to show here what happens if a mistake is made) and she has no interest in advanced settings so the MC T10 tablet is perfect for her.

I am moving over the Cura as I'm growing and have the wife all primed for the purchase of S3D when I lose the current give-away event... So I'll be moving on from MC but keeping it for simple things.

I don't see how awful MC is just yet. I've been very happy with results I've gotten so far. I'm sure I'll like the "better" software once I learn it but I'm of the opinion that it is just fine for beginners and those fearful of advanced menus like my wife.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

MatterControl has improved. It started out really awful.

11. Rigmarol

I'm beginning to understand that those of you who keep saying how bad MC is may not have used it in it's current form. That's fine and I have no complaints about opinions. I work supporting Windows in the workplace and have heard it all. Everyone has a comfort zone and like what they like.

I'm all for trying new things so will be moving on to other software just because that's part of how I enjoy the hobby.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It still has a long way to go, but most of that is around more complex slicing.
    There are a lot of features all of the free ones lack, but you may never need them.

Some of those I couldn't live without now :)

The ability to slice different sections of a model with completely different slicer settings or multiple models each with multiple slicer configurations for different sections is ... powerful.

Geof likes this.
  13. Rigmarol

I'm really looking forward to Cura and eventually S3D. Just not there yet skills wise.

I'll start with Cura on my learning journey then as soon as I get the green light ($$$) from my accountant (Wife), I'll be getting S3D for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.