1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone know exactly how to upgrade to this touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by EvanC2, Nov 5, 2018.

1. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It won't :) (probably)
    Different style of touchscreen .
    HDMI rather than I/O pin driven.

I'd suspect that with the correct drivers loaded it will work, but I don't have the time at the present to try and hook one up and see.
    I have a few laying around that we keep attached as default Pi touchscreens and they are great for that. I don't have any of them connected to the Pi in the C2 :)

The R2 uses a larger screen, but AFAIK it is still using the Pi I/O bus for the touchscreen side of things

@WheresWaldo
    @Geof

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes the default R2 screen uses GPIO for touch input. There is a thread that explains what needs to be changed to use a USB based touchscreen in the Capacitive Screen upgrade mod.

Please note that any software changes will need to be reapplied if Robo ever upgrades RoboOS (or any part of their software).

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. EvanC2

EvanC2 New Member

Fantastic! Looks easy enough.

Also, by any chance do you know where to make an edit to expose the cursor? It would make so many of these LCD issues easier if the mouse cursor was still visible.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It should be in /boot/cmdline.txt, the first and only line should have a reference to cursor

6. Carlos144Green

Was the upgrade to that touchscreen ever successful? I am in the exact same situation...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have a C2 with HDMI cables to the LCD then it will probably work... you may have to tweak the driver, but it should work.
    There is a link for the actual C2 LCD either in the FAQ or the parts thread if you want to just get back to what you had.

Carlos144Green likes this.
  8. Carlos144Green

I do but what do you mean by tweaking the driver?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I mean that the driver Raspbian has installed on the "RoboOS" Sd card is not going to be the one this LCD screen uses -- unless you are really lucky :)

If this is a Waveshare clone then yea, you might get lucky. Otherwise you will need to install the driver for the new screen. I said all that in the second post in this thread (just scroll up). If you can use putty to SSH into the Pi you can install the correct drivers if you need to.

@EvanC2 has not been seen for 2 years so I doubt he will be back to comment on this either.

Carlos144Green likes this.