1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone successfully installed Smart Controller 12864 LCD display?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Phat Vi, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

In the firmware "configuration.h" file search for the following:

// The RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller (quadratic white PCB)
    // http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
    //
    // ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/u8glib
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

You need to uncomment the #define line as shown above and recompile the firmware with the u8glib library added to the Arduino library directory.

Note: make sure the line

//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER

in the configuration.h file is commented out

Robb likes this.
  3. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Thanks a lot Ziggy. I will give it a try. :D

4. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Ziggy,

Sorry for bring up an old thread. I just had time today to start installing the LCD full graphic controller. So far so good except one issue.

When the LCD graphic was powered up by USB via Robo 3D, the display was clear; however, when I switched the Robo 3D button to on (powered on power supply), the LCD screen messed up. It seemed like there was some noise issue. Have you experienced this?

Also, is there any code to control the navigation button on the clockwise direction?

5. Matthias

Matthias Member

I have the same LCD. I had seen it go blank once in the last few days, when I added auto bed leveling and had to flash a couple of times. But usually it's fairly stable. I'm currently running on the Marlin-Stable trunk (with quite a few configuration.h changes).

I was trying to disable the beep yesterday, but didn't find a solution yet. I also didn't stumble across something to change the nav button, but that's a good idea. I always turn it the wrong way at first :)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The LCD Controller pictured at the start of the thread is different to the Reprap Discount version. SD Card is on the right, PCB board has a different layout and there are two push buttons (not one). Not sure why Geetech have redesigned it???

If only the LCD display is being affected when the Robo is powered up, it is unlikely to be a noise issue. The LCD circuitry should be pretty immune to noise as long as the cable length is not too long (and it looks to be no more than about 25cm).

A more likely cause is the power supply was noisy just when you switched the Robo on. Does the LCD display work properly after you switch the Robo on and disconnect/reconnect from MatterControl or Repetier Host?

There are also a couple of fixes to make the encoder work better.

This mod to configuration.h fixes a problem with encoder pulses/step not being defined properly

#if defined(ULTIMAKERCONTROLLER) || defined(REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER) || defined(G3D_PANEL)
    #define ULTIPANEL
    #define NEWPANEL
    // mod
    #ifndef ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP
    #define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 4 // not to be mistaken with the feelable click on the encoder itself!
    #endif

#ifndef ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM
    #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1
    // end mod

#endif
    #endif

And in pins.h you can reverse the encoder by changing the pin numbers of BTN_EN1 and 2

#ifdef REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    #define BEEPER 37

#define BTN_EN1 33 // 31 reverse
    #define BTN_EN2 31 // 33
    #define BTN_ENC 35

You can turn off the BEEPER by setting (but remember this turns off any beeper warnings as well)

#define BEEPER -1

7. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Ziggy,

The LCD seems to work when I powered on Robo. I haven't printed directly from SD card yet, but so far, changing Temp., x, y movement control all worked.

Attached are the picture prior and after turning on power supply.

WP_20150109_23_49_13_Pro.jpg WP_20150109_23_49_03_Pro.jpg

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The bottom pic looks entirely normal - and exactly what I would expect when the Robo is fully powered on.

The issue with the top pic could be:

- 5 volt power is not enough when only the USB is connected. Do you have anything else connected to the 5V power supply? eg LEDs or anything like that?

- OR possible an issue with the contrast setting on the LCD. There should be a small potentiometer where you can adjust the contrast - it looks like the pot is just above the push switch on the lower right of the LCD.

9. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Actually, the image was flipped.

Clear image was when only 5V was supplied.
    Messy image was when power supply was turned on

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok. Then try adjusting the contrast potentiometer when the power is on.

It's possible the backlight is also too bright when the power is on.

11. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

I tried both but issue still remains the same.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a look at the schematic for geeetech LCD Controller

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_controller_With_LED_turn_on_control_12864_Version

Geeetech have added a function which controls the LCD backlight based on a timer and control pin on the Arduino. However the Marlin software does not set this control pin. So it may be the LCD backlight function is causing the problem.

It is possible to disable the Geeetech backlight function. On the reverse side of the controller there is a jumper.

ScreenShot001a.jpg

Move the jumper to the other 2 pins and try that.

13. Phat Vi

Phat Vi New Member

Ziggy,

Thanks a lot. It turns out that the root cause is the back light. When the power supply is on, the back light turns on causing the messed display. I tried to adjust the potentiometer again (fine tune this time) and it works now. Woo hoo

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I just bought another Full Graphics display for another project. The potentiometer adjusting the backlight is very, very sensitive - too sensitive really - just a slight move and it screws up. I think the manufacturer has used too high a pot value (10k) so the adjustment range is way too small.