1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone using the MatterControl Touch android tablet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by nikbrewer, Feb 26, 2015.

1. nikbrewer

nikbrewer New Member

Hello All,

I just received my Robo R1 last friday, but already have printed several items ( and ruined many more).
    I currently have it hooked up to my main PC, but would like to locate it in my garage, shop or atleast further from my twins bedroom.

I know you can add a LCD and print from a SD card, however, the MatterControl touch looks like it does everything the PC software does, just without a PC.

is this a good option? DO i give up anything? for 299$ i could buy a cheap PC just to have mounted under the Robo, but the touch screen and small format is cool

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well you give up other options. I think it's better to buy a cheap laptop than that tablet.

2 people like this.
  3. Jimpalmosc

Jimpalmosc New Member

I have it and love it. Had the LCD with the SD Card but prints did not turn out well. Love the wireless part of it, and mounted it to the top of my Robo. Also drilled a hole and put a small mirror inside so when it texts me the print is done it also takes a picture.
    They also are working on being able to control a print wirelessly.

4. nikbrewer

nikbrewer New Member

i have a cheap laptop that i have used to run the machine. It worked ok, i am just hoping to build a rolling cart for the machine that encloses it with plexi windows and it would be cool to just have a touch screen that ran it. Does this still use all 3 slicer engines? I find i use all 3 at various times

5. milks

milks Member

I went down the RaspberryPi/Octoprint route. It's cheap, low power and pretty easy to set up. You'd still be slicing with your existing software but uploading your gcode to the pi.

2 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Put the octoprint on a Pi 2 -- that thing screams.

stephen shanks likes this.