1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Argos PLA filament

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GAmbrosio, Apr 1, 2016.

1. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Having had excellent results from 3D Solutech, I decided to order the Argos PLA from Amazon. Company boasts to be Made in the USA and is priced competitively among the competition from China (Hatchbox and eSun). Both of which I found to be excellent as well.

I guess I am a little naive, adventurous, and foolish, but at 22.99 for a 2.2 lb spool, I figure why not. It has not been reviewed, not that Amazon reviews are all the real helpful, so I guess I get to be the pioneer tonight when I try it out.

Can someone here save me some anxiety and share if they have tried this company? :) TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Havnt tried it but I run foxsmart (17.99/kg or less) and other than the standard new roll setting changes it runs fine. Id imagine you can make use of it

3. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Tried it. TLDR version? AVOID ARGOS PLA!

Used a few brands, 3D Solutech, Hatchbox, eSun, even the Robo blue sampler. All went fairly well, meaning no problems with jams. First print with this? Printed the first few layers fine. Went to bed and woke up to my printer, print head was moving, but not extruding and the filament flapping free. Okay, a fluke? Retried the print job again, this time the filament stayed in the extruder, but nothing was coming out. Got some cleaning filament, seasoned the nozzle (again) and it printed a smaller job fine, basically the oiler, and a couple of other smaller things. Went ahead and got ambitious, printed a 15 hour job, printed fine the first 3 hours or so, woke up this morning and it was printing with air (no extrusion) about an inch off the last printed layer. I think that the spool was wound a little too tight, as I was not getting much movement from my spool holder and the filament is a little too brittle? I will have to see what I can do to fix it when I get home. If anyone has any ideas, it would be welcomed.:) also, to remove the jam, I had to remove the screws that hold the piece on the cold end that springs back to load the filament. Anyone know how far those two screws should go? I may have been too tight when I replaced it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk