1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto Desk 123D Design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael DiFilippo, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Like Michael said. AutoDesk makes AutoCAD, which is probably the most well known and commonly used 2D CAD/drafting software in the world and is defintely NOT free. Maybe that's an overstatement, but I doubt it. I've worked at quite a few different companies and every one has had something for 3D (Solidworks, pro/e, etc) and then AutoCAD for drafting.

That being said, I also wonder where they are going with all of these free programs that they are releasing. Maybe just expanding brand recognition?

2. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I took a drafting class in high school so I knew they were the makers of AutoCAD and that it's the industry for architects. I just didn't understand why they were releasing a bunch or free programs and especially 123D Design and Inventor Fusion which are pretty powerful pieces of software. How do they profit with these free apps. Thats what I'm wondering.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yes, that's why I stay away from their free cloud scanning service. They're offering it as a free service with no obvious revenue source, and oh, by the way, you agree that they own the rights to whatever you're putting up there. There's probably nothing sinister actually happening, but it just seems a little off to me.
    Granted thinigverse does the same, but you can clearly follow the $ on that one as it is sometimes a giant Makerbot commercial. Makerbot owns the site, Makerbot makes printers, the site gets people excited about the potential for 3D Printing = Makerbot sells more printers and makes more $$.