1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Auto level troubles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fastbike02, Apr 15, 2017.

1. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

When I add the code G29 to cura it pushes the bed so far forward that it grinds the motors for a split second, Also my second set of point it touches seems to be toward the back of the bed more than the middle. Is this a setting in cura or maybe something I need to edit in the firmware? I am running a mostly stock (I did a few of Novice expert mods ) v3 firmware but it also did it with cura with the factory firmware. also my printer came with a broken bed tensioner but it stops fine on the home position and my setting is cura is width and height are set at 225; and depth is set at 235.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The actual print area on the all Robo R1 series printers is offset toward the back of the plate, the printing on the glass has no relevance to where the printer can actually print.

3. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

So what do I need to do to get the printer to stop trying to go past its forward limit?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What you do mean by "forward" (forward implies a given direction)

When you home the printer that is HOME. Is it making the noise trying to HOME one of the axes?
    If so then something is blocking it. Look under the bed and make sure the wire bundles are not getting hung up (if the Y is the one causing the issue--X is all above the bed and you should be able to see if there is something blocking travel of the carriage to the X sensor/switch).

If it is making the noise going to the extreme end of an axis (away from HOME) then the printer size is set incorrectly.

The only position the printer 'knows' is home since those are the only sensors. Everything else is math.

5. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

no it homes fine, when I run a G29 in my start code of cura it grinds the y axis trying to move to the last 3 points. it's like the printer thinks the bed is bigger than it really is or something is offset improperly. This is a video of it

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then check the sizes you have defined for the printer and make sure that the cable from the RAMPS to the heated bed is not getting bound up (that is the usual suspect) and blocking the bed from full travel.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Despite our best hopes and dreams the bed is not as big as Robo said it was. You only have somewhere around 230 mm from front to back.

8. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

Well I feel like an idiot.... it was the bed ribbon cable, I ended up taking the little bracket off that holds it to the rear support and now no more grinding

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, that has bitten more people than I can remember :)

fastbike02 likes this.