1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto-leveling isn't working. I'm printing in the air.

Discussion in 'Software' started by RyeMAC3, Feb 21, 2015.

1. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I've had my printer for exactly a week. Printed a few things perfectly the first time through. I went to print something today and the print head is about half an inch off the bed. Needless to say, it's just squirting filament out onto the glass. When it does an auto level before printing, it touches down on the 3 points on the left perfectly, but when it goes to touch down on the center and the points on the right, the Z is axis actually moves up! I tried to turn the rod on the right to move the hot end back down onto the glass, but it still does it after every print.

I looked under Hardware settings for the option about bed leveling, but I'm not seeing it.

How do I fix this?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Interesting. Mine did the exact opposite. Air printed on the left during Auto Level and was fine on center and right.
    I had two things wrong:
    1) The helical coupler that attached the right threaded Z rod was not secured to the Z rod. Check both of yours. If you hold the coupler and try to turn the rod it should not turn.
    2) my horizontal smooth rods were not fully seated into the the x motor carriage on the right and the x idler on the left. I literally had to press them together to get the rods to seat properly.
    Worth a shot. :)

4. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

From what I've read, there's supposed to be an option under Hardware Settings to shut off bed leveling. Why don't I have this option for the R1?

Attached Files:

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You shouldn't be using the mattercontrol's Automatic Print Leveling Utility as it were. I just checked on this computers version with R1 profile and confirmed the same observations as you. No APL option because it's forced disabled (which is preferred)

6. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

You mean these guys? Because they both turn pretty easily. The X-axis rods are solid.

Attached Files:

#6 RyeMAC3, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes he means those. If you grab the spring looking part (Helical Coupler) and try and twist the rod, they should be tight together

8. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

The one on the right moves with the rod and seems pretty tight. The one on the left spins within the coupler. So, I tighten those two hex bolts in there, or is there something have to do from underneath?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hopefully that sorts it (it should). I had one broken off in the coupler. I superglued it in place.

10. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

I tightened the screws. The bottom one seems pretty tight, but the top one took a turn. The rod seems nice and tight now. However, the Z-axis still lifts when it attempts to level the bed. It touches down at certain points, but raises at others.

Here's a Flickr video.... https://flic.kr/p/rmh85S

It's not as bad as it was. Before it was almost an inch off the bed.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Put a piece of paper on the bed and lower the nozzle just until it barely touches the paper. You should be able to slide the carriage back and forth without it getting any higher or lower on the paper. This will improve the autoleveling.

12. RyeMAC3

RyeMAC3 Member

Seems to be working for now. I tightened the bolts and dialed it in with a piece of paper. Fingers crossed that it holds. I've done a few prints and so far so good.