1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered AutoLevel command moving bed too far (grinding)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Yogi, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Yogi

Yogi Member

Whenever the autolevel command is run the print head will center in x/y, then lower to z. After that it lifts and complets the far front of the bed, and middle just fine but when It moves the bed to do the last row of three points the y axis bottoms out and gives a little grind before carrying on.

In a related matter: the 9 contact points for auto leveling are all shifted back what looks like a cm from centered with the 'hot zone' square.

I don't really care if the auto level isn't perfectly centered x/y, but it really is annoying having to see it try to bottom out the y axis. What do I need to adjust for this? I use S3d 99% of the time.

2. I believe what's causing this is the ribbon cable attached to the clip, on the inner side of the back rail.

Attached Files:

Yogi likes this.
  3. Yogi

Yogi Member

Thank you! That very well could be the problem, it makes complete sense. I'll find out in 2 days when this print is complete. (61.5 hours by S3d's count)

I appreciate the help very much.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Also the hot zone is not exactly where the white square is printed on the bed, it is actually shifted toward the back of the printer.

5. woferry

woferry Member

That must really vary from printer to printer. The heated portion of my R1+Plus's bed is reasonably well-centered within the white box, but the print area is not, the printer can't print all the way to the front of the box and can print well behind it. So when software like Cura centers jobs in the printer's X/Y that skews prints towards the back of the box, and puts larger jobs fairly close to where the heated zone ends in Y. Of course I can reduce the printable area to force centering within the heated area, but there are times I want to run those longer prints as well.

6. Mr Smiley

Mr Smiley New Member

When I first got my printer I had the same problem, which turned out to be the print bed cable. I also found the it was printing back from center, sometimes causing prints to go off the heat bed. I fixed that by adjusting print bed dimensions. 216mm*216mm bed dimension and 108mm*108mm center. Seems to have fixed both problems for me. Now prints almost dead center :D