1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Bad Print Files or Settings?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Sabo, May 8, 2016.

1. Ryan Sabo

Ryan Sabo New Member

Hey guys, I downloaded some files off of thingverse for an Ironman helmet. The first 2 files printed no problem, which were pieces that had flatter bottoms. When I went to print 2 different rounded parts what appears to be the support structure (which starts out like a small square) fails every time. It looks messy at first and then pulls off of the print bed, the main part looks ok. To rule out something being wrong with the printer or calibration I printed a calibration circle and 2 other flat parts for the helmet and they turned out just fine.

I was curious if maybe there are bad print files that are out there or maybe the print settings need to be tweaked for certain parts. I've tried rotating the part to print different ways (oddly it always appears to try to print it the same way on the bed even though it's rotated differently in the software). I've even used a free CAD designer to split the parts into 2 pieces to try and give it a flat bottom, again the main part appears fine but then that small support structure peels off and causes issues.

Any suggestions? I've attached some photos.

Thanks in advanced guys.

Attached Files:

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Is the file from thingiverse?

I have downloaded quite a few from there that are un-printable and have gaps where it tries to print in the air.

Without seeing what your trying to print its hard to tell whats wrong.. One thing it looks like your printing too hot, or with too much extrusion or a combo of both.

3. Jeffrey Wheeless

As far as gap go I've found netfabb is able to fix alot of stl files and tinkercad allows you to manipulate and import stls easily, both of which are in browser.

To attempt to answer the question, for I am no expert, I find going slow for the smaller stuff at the start helps alot. That is if there isn't an issue with the file. Also are you using a rafting, and have you tried?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member