1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bad Print Quality. Request advice.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - after successfully printing with the wood filament yesterday, I switched back to the standard Robo White PLA. The results were not very impressive. I know I have some support issues, and I can fix that easily, but things like the wings being jagged, or the goop blob on the top. Wondering what I should be looking at changing. My settings were:

Temp: 188/55

Layer Height: .1

Speed: 1800mm/min

Supports: Yes

Infill: 30% Grid

Z Offset: -.58

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

a bit of that could be the model and support used (or not used). Did you purge the wood out right after using it with some PLA? Is 188C what you have been printing with that PLA in the past? I normally go about between 195-200C. And stop giving me a heart attach with putting speed in mm/minute. LOL!!! I didn't have my caffeine yet this morning.

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Looks like a pretty small detailed part. I would try scaling it up to give the Robo a chance. Make sure when you "Prepare to Print" you look at the layers to ensure everything you want printed is actually being printed. You may need to adjust your Extrusion Width in order to print all the details. You could also try to print 2 of them at once and see if you get the same results. Turning off your heated bed around layer 5 may be another option.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You get used to it. :)

5. danzca6

Those are excellent points Ryan. I didn't think about the size of the model. When printing at a fine layer height like .1 and a small part, you need to think cooling of the PLA. Brilliant suggestion

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And speed. If you drop from .2 to .1 on layer height slow it down as well (I suggest 50% as a start). That also plays into cooling :)

7. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Yep - purged all of the wood out and extruded quite a bit of white just to make sure before I started. I do normally print at about 188. My understanding is that you should print at the coolest you can get away with. 188 extrudes nicely. What would be the symptoms for too low a temperature? LOL - sorry about the mm/min. That's how it is in S3D so that's what I put. haha.

Definitely will scale it up a bit. That said, I should be able to print something like this at this scale - correct? What would printing 2 at once do? Is that so that one layer can cool while the other is printing and vice versa? You think the pics are indicative of too much heat and not enough cooling? I'll also have to research extrusion width. I can't remember what the default is. What do you think I should try?

So since I am printing at .1mm layer height - does that mean I should only be printing at 15mm/sec? I printed the above at 30mm/sec. What would be considered too slow? 15mm/sec seems very slow to me but it may be because I am inexperienced. That might be perfectly normal.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you find that 30 mm/sec is what gives you best results at 0.2 then yes, you drop that to 15 mm/sec for 0.1
    Slow? You bet. It is a trade-off you make: speed versus detail.

Some people have done 50 micron layers ... I leave you to imagine the speed there :)

9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark. Will try the suggestions above. Any idea why it has the blob on the top of the model?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is either the extruder moving too fast on a small layer (which gives it no time to cool) or some glop from the head (over extrusion building up and then coming off). Set a minimum layer print time so that smaller layers move slower and have a chance to cool. If print speeds stay constant a smaller layer will print too quick for cooling to have any effect.

Look here for some other ideas:

http://simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Also make sure you calibrated your extruder (to rule out over extrusion):

11. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

That makes perfect sense Mark - thanks. Extruder is definitely calibrated fine. Have done that a few times just to make sure and it was the first tip you guys gave me :) Thinking the issue is cooling. Is it possible to run a double fan setup with stock extruder? I actually like the stock robo extruder, but think dual fans might help. Thoughts? Also, if I chance Extrusion Width, should I be increasing or decreasing it?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. danzca6

Absolutely you can run a dual fan. @Mike Kelly has a great bracket for it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:720018

Man...Mark beat me to it again. Haha

17. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not sure it will work for the R1+ though

18. danzca6

Which one? Both models should work. And @Mike Kelly mount should work with the black widow shrouds. @WheresWaldo has a remix of Mike's that allows for a 30mm fan to cool the hotend instead of the 25mm. Depending on the fan you buy, it can kill some of the fan noise you get from that noisy 25mm.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't say for sure.
    @Geof has an R1+ he might know.

edit: looks like @danzca6 has you covered :)

20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Perfect! Printing this when I get home. The fans should be 10x40x40 - correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.