1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

bamhm182's Printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by bamhm182, Nov 26, 2014.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Just finished my Phone Holder attachment, so I figured now would be as good of a time as any to upload some pictures of the mods I've made to my RoBo 3D. All printed mods will be linked at the end.

One of the most obvious differences you'll notice about my RoBo 3D is that I've replaced the 2 blue LED strips with 4 super bright white LEDs on the top and sides of the external housing. I used some bullet connectors to attach them to the RAMPS while still being able to easily take off the top. This also allows me to easily turn off the LEDs at any time by just unplugging them.

20141126_172236.jpg

One of my more favorite mods is the Smart LCD Controller XXL. I have the R1 with a bottom cover, so I had to dremel away at it a little bit in order to get the cables to fit, but it was well worth it. I found a modified case for the RoBo 3D R1 with the lower bed on Thingiverse made by Kals.

20141126_165059.jpg

The extruder is still just the standard Hex that comes with it. I'm planning on upgrading to something E3D has created soon, but I'm not sure if I want to wait for the Cyclops or go for the v6. I printed out both fan ducts I'm currently using, and although it may not look pretty, I had to use a bit of hot glue to keep some of the wires out of the way. The print fan duct was created by @Galaxius, and the heat sink fan duct was created by the RoBo 3D team.

20141126_165028.jpg

I've been taking off and putting back on the top cover a lot recently, so I wasn't really too big of a fan of how the extruder wires were zip tied and screwed into the top. I stumbled across an alternative holder for it on thingiverse and printed that out. It'll probably get replaced when I find the time to model one I like better, but for now it seems to get the job done well enough. It was made by CleanO2 from Thingiverse.

20141126_170131.jpg

And lastly, my latest project. An arm that can hold my phone in front of the print bed to allow for videos to be recorded. The actual part that attaches to the RoBo 3D was originally a spool holder I found on thingiverse and modified to have a ball on the end, then I modeled up the arm and attached it to part of an old phone windshield mount that I had laying around. The files aren't currently on Thingiverse, but I'll probably put them up later. Normally I would attach my Galaxy Note II to the Phone Holder, but seeing as I was using that to take pictures, I just tossed an old iPhone 4S with a broken screen in there.

20141126_165248.jpg 20141126_165300.jpg

EDIT: Got a GoPro and made a mount for the GoPro to replace the phone.

aOkKbYS - Imgur.jpg

And although there are plenty of better timelapse videos on the internet, I created one earlier to test out my Phone Holder, so here's a link to that:

Thingiverse Links

Galaxius's Parts Fan Duct
    RoBo 3D Team's Heatsink Fan Duct
    Kals' Smart LCD Controller XXL Case for the R1
    CleanO2's Cable Hanger
    bamhm182's Phone Holder (Coming Soon...)

#1 bamhm182, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Great stuff man. Have you noticed how much Z height you lose with the fan mount?

3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Thanks. Didn't really think about z-axis loss with the fan... I just took a look at it and it looks like there would be a couple problems spots. The first being when the top cover goes from being a 45 degree angle to straight up and down, the fan brushes on the top cover a little, but readjusting the fan when it gets to that point would be easily doable, and that's only if you're printing at like EXACTLY 0 on the x-axis. The next spot is that it would hit on the top of the top cover. It could safely go up to about 180mm before having problems. So that knocks a solid 23mm off of the z-axis. The tallest thing I've printed so far is about 60mm and I don't have any plans to go too far above that anytime soon, so it'll probably be a while before I seriously have to worry about it.

#3 bamhm182, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I run with the top off so haven't really taken that into account with my design, though I do try keep it as small as possible.
    After I complete more upgrades I may revisit it, but that could be quite some time.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I spent some time designing fan shrouds and realized you can't go very big before hitting the enclosure. The front side has more room for peripherals

6. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I wonder if it would be beneficial to switch the two fans around... I don't see why it wouldn't work, and it seems like that would solve the problems...

EDIT: Actually, looking at it closely, there still isn't enough room... Also been tempted to try this one out, but I don't know how it would fit since it says it's for a J-Head or E3D v5...

#6 bamhm182, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like you'd need to put the hot end fan on the other side.

8. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

That's what I meant. Get the hot end fan on the back side and the parts fan on the front. It still sticks out too far from the extruder. I think I'll just toss back on the old holder if I ever need to print over 180mm

2 people like this.