1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Banding Fix for Robo R2

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John M. Fruits, Apr 14, 2019.

  1. John M. Fruits

    Oct 9, 2013
    Likes Received:
    A while back, I posted an issue with my Robo R2 where I had severe banding on all of my prints. I had a bent Z Axis Rod, which Robo replaced free of charge. This is NOT intended to correct severe banding!!!!

    However, I did still see an issue (I think this is a design issue, on several levels) where I would see a rhythmic banding on my Robo R2's (I have two). They both showed the exact same pattern. So, I revisited the printer stiffener block that I made to correct the Z Axis issue, and found that it fixed the horizontal banding shown here as well!

    To me, The lower Z Axis motor and bearing rods are mounted to an injection molded angle shelf... Further more, the plastic shelf has bolt holes where the bearing rods slide into the bottom (and the top). It appears they originally intended to thread and bolt the Z Axis bearing rods in, but probably had an issue where the threading process was making the rods wider on the ends, so they omitted the bolting of the bearing rods. If the bearing rods were secured to the top and the bottom angle plates, maybe they would have been stiff enough to not cause this issue. But, we have what we have... and sometimes we just need to fix it ourselves.

    The print easily slides under the Z Axis motor, and if your printer is calibrated..... You should get a part that is 2.900" tall. I did re-level my bed(s) and reset my Z Axis offset(s)... not sure I had too, but I did for safety

    Good luck

    PS: Also, incase there is an issue with the files... here is a Thingiverse link:

    Attached Files:

    #1 John M. Fruits, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

    WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

    Feb 18, 2015
    Likes Received:
    I made one of those literally within weeks of having an R2. The plastic that holds the Z axis stepper is just not stiff enough to work over time without warping or sagging a bit.
  3. Docdead

    Docdead New Member

    May 31, 2014
    Likes Received:
    I was fighting with this issue since I got my R2. Finally found that file and printed the support tower. Much cleaner prints now.
  4. Matt Zarkos

    Matt Zarkos New Member

    Apr 24, 2019
    Likes Received:
    After many attempts to fix my banding issues (using the printed guide block noted above, a real bearing, numerous speed and slicer settings), I gave in and bought a replacement Z motor/lead screw from PartsBuilt.com. Jonah was great - apparently there was a QC issue with motors they had on hand and he ordered a new batch. I'd received it within a few days of it being sent out. AMAZING difference in quality! Replacing couldn't be easier - while Jonah sent full instructions from Robo, it can be summarized as:

    Raise the printing platform and remove the bed.
    Remove the snap in cover to give access to the electronics
    Sharply lift up the two rear sides of the base plastic piece the snap in cover was connected to. (it angles into the front piece, above LCD)
    Unplug the lower z stop and zmotor connections
    Unscrew the bottom two screws on motor/platform and carefully guide unit underneath hotend assembly. (you can move hotend out of way to make it easier to remove the assembly)

    Pull out guide bars and unscrew leadscrew from platform (I used a rag to protect my hands when manually rotating the screw)
    Four small screws hold the motor to the base of the assembly.
    Reverse process to put it all back together.
    Be sure to lubricate the new leadscrew before using. While I was at it I cleaned the guide rods and wiped fresh lube on them too.

    9/10 update: I noticed on the occasional fast rise or lower from the platform the motor made a shrieking sound (no joke, really awful). In actual printing operation it sounded fine. Turned out to be a firmware issue. I'd gone to the github site and tried some later non-release versions and saw that one of the "fixes" was a reference to change for faster platform movement, and another reference somewhere to sound. When I went back to the official release, no more sound (and the loss of the fast movement isn't a concern.) I'm also happy to say that the banding issue is fully resolved - no more lines!
    #4 Matt Zarkos, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.

Share This Page