1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Calibration Wizard

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidR, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

I am running this wizard in guided mode. It is telling me to use the Z-offset Tool to level the printer and I have no idea what this means. I don't see an overview of this wizard in the manual. I'm hoping someone can post some directions for what I'm supposed to do at this particular step.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It's the blue piece of paper in the plastic box.

3. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo Sorry I should have been more clear with my question. I know what the tool is and how to use it for the Z-offset wizard. I am running the bed calibration wizard (I think for leveling). I am not sure what it wants me to do with the z-offset tool for this particular wizard. Am I supposed to do the same thing in terms of adjusting until I feel slight resistance with the nozzle?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

5. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo They did for the Z-offset Wizard. It doesn't appear to cover the "bed calibration wizard". In particular, when it says "Adjust the front left screw using the Z-offset tool" I am lost as to what that means.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

That part is manual and is used to set the bed up as mechanically level as you can. I don't use the Wizards so I can't help much there.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hard for me to guess since I can't look at an R2, the C2 has no bed adjustments at all. However my guess would be that they intend for you to adjust the mounting screws for the bed corners/edges to bring the manual part (the Coarse settings) as close as possible to the same on all points checked. The fine-tuning wizard will then need to be run which allows for small adjustments to get a good first layer. Here is a prime example of a good first layer to go by: http://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

spot on, use that piece of paper in each of the 4 corners (the wizard takes you to each one) and adjust until there is light pressure on the paper between the nozzle and bed (adjusting the screws on the bottom of the bed). Then like @mark tomlinson stated, the fine tune will print a line and ask if ok or adjustments needed. adjust it until you have a first layer that is good :D That piece of paper is not special, its just pretty, any piece of paper will do :D

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. DavidR

DavidR Member

@Geof Thanks! What I did was switch to advanced mode and I compared the corner that I felt was iffy to the other three. For all but the front left corner, when I tried sliding the offset tool under the nozzle it would not slide under (nozzle was too close to the bed). For the front left corner, it slid under freely. So I adjusted the front left screw to the very earliest instant that the offset tool would not fit between the nozzle and the bed (like the other three).

Would this process be acceptable or do I need to redo it in terms of "slight pressure"? My initial guess was that since we are concerned with the level of the bed as long as each corner had the same distance to the nozzle that would be sufficient. I hate the "slight pressure" terminology as it is a little ambiguous.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Grab a full sheet of paper. Hold the paper on the end closest to you with yout pointer finger and thumb, Slide it back and forth under the nozzle until the paper bends when pushing but slides out towards you easily, there will be a little pressure when pulling towards you, repeat for all 4 sides then you know it's as close as you can get it. (That's how I do it).

Your way is also likely fine :) if it's a bit off adjust it during your first layer slightly. The closer to level you are the less autolevel has to do the better off you'll be.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, then look at the layer being done by the fine tuning wizard and adjust it up or down until it is perfect.

Geof likes this.