1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed centering?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Wesley Knapp, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I've heard/read it a 1000 times that the screen printed graphics on the glass don't mean that's where the heated portion of the bed is. HOWEVER, in my case my R1+ screen print is exactly where my heat pad is, I know because I had to remove and replace it. It was perfectly aligned originally and after replacing. So, my question is, how & what do I need to change to configure home, center, etc. No matter what slicer I use if I "Center" the object it looks to be centered on screen but it will always print about 20mm +Y. Whenever I have a larger print that needs the heat for adhesion I have to guesstimate where to actually place the object on the bed in whichever slicer. It's quite annoying. I do suffer from OCD so this is a real problem for me.

Somebody please save me from the guys in white with the straightjacket.

Sent via PixelXL3 using Tapatalk.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are three things that designate center, first is the physical endstops which tell the printer where X0 and Y0 are located. Second is your configuration in firmware, because center is designated by the values in firmware for MAX_X and MAX_Y. Those two are how the hardware determines the center of the print area for homing Z0. Then you add your Slicer configuration. where the slicer actually thinks the center is. Most slicers will try to arrange your prints in the center of the bed, but if for example, the slicer thinks your bed Y is 40 mm bigger than it actually is, then it will move the centered print back 20 mm. So make sure your slicers printer configuration is correct.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ditto. Regardless of where your heater pad is, the max size of the build volume is just that. I personally wouldn't adjust it so its over the heater. If you have a part that needs to be directly on the heater, manually move the model in your slicer back however far you need to. Graphics are only decorative and hold no real bearing on print size. If you do adjust to 40mm bigger in the firmware/slicer/etc then you need to be sure that you DO NOT try to use that extra build space as it doesn't end nice :D

mark tomlinson likes this.