1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bed doesn't center

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by YellowMenace, Feb 18, 2015.

1. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

My bed isn't calibrated properly. Large prints will extend off the heated section in the back and not use the entire heated section in the front. Everything seems to print further toward the back edge of the bed than it should. Even small items aren't centered front to back.

How do you calibrate this?

2. Sasabs

Sasabs New Member

I have the same problem left to right. When I run the circle calibration from the library its about 1/2" to the right. Can this be adjusted?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The markings on the bed aren't really indicataive of anything.

The kapton heater is only 8.2"x8.2"

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I know, you know, but new folk assume it indicates the usable surface. :)

IT DOESN'T FOLKS :D

RoboRage likes this.
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well usable print area and heated area aren't interconnected.

Also says on the product description the heater size.

6. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Robo would eliminate a lot of this confusion if they either got rid of the graphics or at least made them close to right.

2 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Let me add that to my list of things I wish they would do but they're too scattered to actually do it.

8. YellowMenace

YellowMenace New Member

I don't make any assumption about the entire usable surface all being heated. What I'm asking about is that the center of my object isn't in the center of the bed.
    I agree that removing the graphic would be better if it isn't accurate. Documenting something incorrectly is usually worse than not documenting at all.

But my point is that the software logic knows some point to be the center of the bed because it places the center of an object at the same point all the time. So there must be some way to change that point. Either some variable in the software, some location of a sensor or something. I admit I don't know enough about these machines yet to know the answer but I can tell that part of the print extends off the heated area and part of the heated area on the opposite end of the bed isn't being used.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you define the machine dimensions when you configure the software for slicing/printing.
    Tweak that definition to move the 'center' around. The down-side is that this will likely reduce your available print area.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

As mark said the machine shape defines the center. Best way to figure out if it's actually in the center is to mark the point on all of the extremes, use a piece of string or tape measure and make an X, marking the center point.

Don't trust the marking on the bed.

11. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I see the same on my R1. Tells me that it is a setting, and mattercontrol lets you change those. It only becomes an issue with long objects, hanging off the edge of the hot spot. That's where I see warping happen.

12. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Problem is if you do have large object sometimes you cant get it on the bed centered as with cura it will not let you place an object within a few cm of the edge of the bed, you can place an object as far forward as possible and it still prints 1 inch or so back. I would have to believe it is something in the firmware for the new R1's as others have not experienced this with older models as far as I can tell.

13. Sasabs

Sasabs New Member

The centering error seems to be consistant. The easiest solution, without messing with the firmware is to move your object a few centimeters to correct this bias when printing objects large enough to come close to the boundary

14. Dbarcliff

Dbarcliff Member

I am having a issue where when my bed does the auto leveling sequence the last 3 spots are way off to the back of the bed and the bed makes a duntduntdunt noise like it is skipping teeth on the belt. I havent taken it apart yet as i just bought it this week. Also it hasnt been an issue just yet as i am still printing small stuff getting used to the settings but i forsee this being an issue where it maxes out. I bought it used and it apears to have been taken apart at some point. I am wondering if i can fix this by adjust the center in settings or will that result in a smaller print area? or if i should just take it apart and physically move the bed down a few teeth on the gear?

15. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Step 1, disregard all the graphics on the glass. They are pretty meaningless with regards to print area.

Step 2 have a serious discussion with yourself about returning it. If it has immediate problems and appears to have been taken apart who knows what else is wrong.

That said the dutdutdut noise is bad. One thing to check would be the size of the printer that the software thinks it is working with. The Y axis should be 248 I think. Look underneath the print bed to see what you are dealing with for wires. Is it a ribbon cable the connects the print bed or some other type of wires? You need to look for something that would physically stop the bed from travelling it's full distance.

16. Dbarcliff

Dbarcliff Member

Yeah I know that the graphics arent an idecation of print volume. Also, I bought it for cheap off of ebay with the understanding that some tinkering would be involved. and you basically ansered my question. I just needed to know if it was a software issue. I am sure it is getting hung up on something underneath the bed now. I will check it out and post my results. Thanks man !!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The (technical terms) 'dutdutdut' noise is an indicator that the bed has reached a physical constraint but the sensor/microswitch that tells the arduino it is at the limit of travel is not being 'made' or switched. So it keeps trying to drive the bed further. Like @Stephen Capistron indicated it could be getting hung up on a wire bundle or something. Make sure you can manually move the bed full stop Y- to Y+ manually with the printer off.

18. Dbarcliff

Dbarcliff Member

After doing some research on here I think my stop switch on the y axis may be to blame. I haven't pulled the bed off yet. But I did move the bed all the way back and forth with it off and it appears to move all the way with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Dbarcliff

Dbarcliff Member

Also does anyone know the bed dimensions? I thought I saw them in the forum somewhere at one point but the search function isn't bringing them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

looking at matter control on a computer I've never hooked to the printer... it calls it 228x254
    making print center 114 127

Things to note. The printer is not centered in the box. it is slightly left and back.
    When I trashed my robo wedge case, I had to build the case a bit longer towards the back and place supports for the Z rods a bit to the left. a bit ~ 20-30mm