1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed, Extruder, IR Sensor replaced yet my issues are not over

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sefa, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Hi all,

I had a problem with my extruder first, got it replaced, then my IR sensor was gone and then my bed stopped heating. After over a month of waiting for the new bed and the IR sensor replacement, I had two successful prints. Then in the middle of the third print my extruder stopped heating up. What do you think it is, the board?

I was on Skype with Robo but we could not figure out the issue. I had this printer since July and could not print more than 10 things successfully.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Sefa I'm assuming an R2? If they cannot diagnose your issue they should be sending you a replacement machine. Is there any errors in your gcode log on the octoprint UI? That would be the place to start.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

(moved to R2 section if it is something else we can fix. IR sensor and heated bed -- has to be an R2)

4. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Hi all, I am sorry that I opened the thread in the wrong place. Yes, it is an R2. I am on the phone with Robo staff now, we fixed the gcodes, everything seems in place and connected, but the extruder is still not working. I get "Connection Interrupted, Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0" error on the screen.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Likely a thermistor issue. If you look at the octoprint UI you can read through the communication log. When you find the exact error we can tell you exactly what is wrong.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  7. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Hi, I just received a new uptown adapter from Robo, they thought it was the problem. I changed it however, it is the same thing. I get the error below and the extruder does not heat up:

[​IMG]

#7 Sefa, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. Michael_ROBO

Michael_ROBO New Member

Hey Sefa!

I can't post links yet but here are a few things to check if you haven't already.

Make sure everything in the uptown board is replaced correctly. And that your hotend cables are plugged into the right slots in the downtown.

Also push down on the ribbon extruder cable in the uptown connector as it may be loose even if it doesn't look like it.

Also make sure that your bed thermistor, and heater power IN are connected properly on the mainboard.

If these don't fix it let me know. Also if you could take a picture of your uptown connection that would help. It could be that the thermistor cable connection from the uptown to downtown board is loose. This'll be a little trickier to fix if so.

9. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

I had this same issue, I had to have my printer send in to get it fixed. If you can get in touch with 2nd tier support. during their regular business hours. They should be able to help somehow, i received my printer week later and it's running without an issue. I did however have an issue with filament sensor but that's for another day.

10. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your support, after long talks with Robo support. Yet, I have another issue. The printer is not able to roll the filament in the nozzle. I have to push it by hand to get it out, when I let go it does not feed the nozzle. Are you familiar with the issue?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like a controller board issue assuming it is correct filament (1.75 mm, not 3mm).

12. Sefa

Sefa New Member

It is 1.75mm Repkord filament. I tried with other filaments too.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then likely the driver board is not pushing enough current (although it is also possible the stepper is bad)
    Under warranty they can get you sorted.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your up for some troubleshooting....take off the black plastic cover so you can get to the gear. Does the hobb gear spin on the shaft? If yes, please tighten(loctite is your friend, just be sure to line up the gear with the filament path). Is the motor plugged in? If so please share a photo, unplug and reseat. after that the only easy things I can think of is the tensioner assembly has broken or cracked, or the spring has. With the black cover off it should be easy to see both items. Please post photos

15. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Here is a video of the issue, you can also see my last print attempt in the end.

And here is the photos

Hobb gear used to be loose and it would come out couple of months ago, I tightened it and it is tight now. I feel like it is a friction thing, I could print a small test with wood filament which has a texture to give better grip to the gear. But it may be also because the print was small.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hard to tell but it doesn't look like your bearing is spinning. Is the small fan on the back blowing air on the hotend? Possibly a partial clog in the hotend that needs seasoning (dip your filament in canola oil and feed through a few hundred mm after doing a few cold pulls if possible. If not may need to remove the nozzle and torch out any clogs in the nozzle then season.

Other option if that bearing isn't spinning is its entirely possible the bracket (tensioner arm) is broken. Can you remove that phillips screw and show a video or some good pictures of that assembly?

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I don't think there is enough tension or for some reason the opening created by the hobbed gear and bearing is too open and with no tension on the filament there is nothing for the hobbed gear to grab on to.

Geof likes this.
  18. Sefa

Sefa New Member

Hi all, I removed the philips screw and when that plastic part is not on the bearing on the right, it seemed to be working. So I will not put the philips screw on. I could finally have a complete print after 2 fails:

[​IMG]

However, now I have another issue which I had before. Two prints have been stringy, they are not usable:

[​IMG]

And after those two attempts nothing sticks to the bed:

[​IMG]

What do you think would cause this?

P.S. I am sorry for the long post. I really want to return this printer as I literally had to change lots of parts, yet they do not want me to send it back. Also the hex screw on the extruder is not working anymore, so I am unable to remove the nozzle. I have not been able to use this printer since July.

#18 Sefa, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pics are not visible for me.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto