1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Not Raising, Buzzing Sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by KRGraphicsCG, Jul 20, 2017.

1. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

So, on my 3rd day of printing... (I love the printer by the way, got some REALLY good prints off it.) I am trying to do a print and the bed makes a buzzing sound when it gets ready to print, like the offset is off or something. I went into the EEPROM and set the bed back to ZERO, and I am trying to get the bed to raise. I opened the bezel to look under the bed and the screw is hitting the limit switch... so I can't think of anything else wrong with it. Has anyone had this issue? And how come there is no factory reset?

I can hit the home button and the extruded moves just fine... it is the bed that doesn't raise

2. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

I was able to run the Z Offset Wizard and now I have a new offset of -7.5 (it was -8 before). So I hope the grinding crap stops after this...

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Bed not raising and buzzing is either a mechanical bind or a stepper driver issue. Power up and raise the bed by turning the leadscrew manually. Then try. If all is good keep an eye on it but may have a bind in a section of that lead screw. If it still just buzzes check your connection on the board but likely a stepper driver issue. You'll need to call robo to advise how to diagnose as I dont have a R2 to figure it out. Ask for tech teir 2 and state the z wont raise and buzzes like a stepper driver issue :D

KRGraphicsCG likes this.
  4. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

And I just got the printer too... I ran the machine this morning and the bed raised fine. It lowers fine too, just on occasion it will grind and buzz when raised. It takes me turning that rod to get the bed to raise. And the ZOffset keeps changing at times, so I have to set it each time.

I even had an instance where the offset was wayyy off. It still prints fine :). I hit up ROBO on Facebook and gonna call them when I get home.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Great idea.
    It sounds like some binding on the Z travel. That could be due to a bent rod or one that got knocked out of place in shipment.

Geof likes this.
  6. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

A bent rod? I'm not the incredible hulk lol... and I looked very carefully in the build area and the threaded rod looks straight... I also set the ZOffset to 0 just to make sure.

Also the rods on X and Y are in the correct place. Other than that I've been able to print normally. I often use custom settings to print which helps me test.

I wish I could record a video of this issue. I did notice that the right thicker bar is slightly higher than the left. I don't know. I'll have to call robo about it

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The rods can get bent in shipping. Which is harder than it sounds with that steel frame, but apparently... not too hard for them to manage.

8. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

This makes me a bit nervous

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It is true of all machines and all shipping companies. :D

10. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

I'll keep an eye on it. I did notice at times it was harder to turn the rod manually

11. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

So after talking to ROBO on Facebook, I ended up greasing the threaded rod, so that should stop the grinding stuff... doing a motor test now.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the buzzing continues that is the stepper failing to step when the stepper driver tells it to.
    There is no way to replace the stepper driver on the C2/R2 (shame -- they are cheap) instead you need a new control board if that really is the issue. Either the stepper motor or the driver would be the culprit. You are under warranty so they can decide which approach to take.

KRGraphicsCG and Geof like this.
  13. KRGraphicsCG

KRGraphicsCG Member

I will definitely keep an eye on this. I did a few tests this morning to make sure the motor is functioning and the bed raised correctly.

I also put grease on the threads just to be sure. I've had this printer for about a week and I don't want it messing up.

14. 123

123 New Member

I have tried to raise it manually but it won't budge. The bed has grinded into the bottom of the machine and will not raise. Any suggestions?

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds sort of like its not getting to home position? Did you shut off the power when you tried to raise the leadscrew by hand?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See my response in your other thread. One thread is all you need for a specific problem. We will get you an answer no faster if you post more for the same issue :)

Geof likes this.
  17. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Fixed that for you

18. 123

123 New Member

Yes I did. It still won't budge.

19. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I think I'd open the trap door and look for anything (like a ribbon/USB cable) that's gotten itself jammed into the bottom of the vertical lead screws.

20. 123

123 New Member

I can't open it though because the bed is all the way at the bottom.