1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best print bed surface for RoBo

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JDM_, Jun 27, 2013.

1. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I am looking to add a surface on top of the heated bed to protect the heating element. I am thinking of maybe adding glass over the heat pad. Does anyone with 3D printing experience know of the best surface to print on? Or if there is not a single surface maybe I could get more than one but the same thickness so I could switch them out for printing different filament materials without have to recalibrate.

2. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

abs and pla both work on boroglass.. 1/8" thick

3. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Will the glass transfer the heated bed heat good enough?

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

good enough to print. that's what I'm using now and works just fine.

if you want better heat distribution place a piece of 1/8" aluminum underneath the boro, then you'll have the best of both. aluminum spreads the heat evenly into the boro, and the boro maintains flat build surface. so long as your aluminum is flat and doesn't warp.

for larger prints with plastics that tend to warp (ie abs nylon etc), better heat distribution will help with the warping.

i don't use aluminum just because i haven't found any that stays flat when heated. If you get something too thick, it effects other aspects of the machine.

5. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Where can I get the boro glass? Glass shop? Home Depot?

6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

You can pick up a piece of glass from lowes or home depot. The boro is going to be less susceptible to breaking due to temperature changes, but it's not like the heated bed sees a really rapid temperature change.

9. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Ok so I ordered a piece of 1/8" Borg glass and 1/8" Garolite. I am hoping they will both be exactly the same thickness so I can switch them out for printing nylon.

The clips that came with RoBo will hold it on right?

Harry.... Or anyone else with glass one your RoBo.... when you get a chance could you post a few pics on how it is clipped on? Thanks.

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

what ever you find out I will be very interested as i want to move into the ABS area now and I need to know what I need and I don't what to switch all the time

11. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

switching all the time is actually not a bad thing if you're using a clip on plate. you can speed up your workflow.
    Keep a few build platforms prepped and ready to go. After you finish a print, you can just pop off your print and the plate and replace it with a cleanly prepped plate.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Matt that actually does sound like a good plan we just need to get something in place to switch fast I guess.
    Today I want to print ABS no PLA no Nylon, no PLA , no I got it chocolate.