1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best Robo R1+ mods

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by BrettW, Dec 16, 2016.

1. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Hello I would like to introduce myself, I have been looking at the Robo3d printer for roughly two years and I finally decided to pull the trigger during Black Friday. I live in Canada so the exchange rate burned through a lot more of my savings than I would've liked, but I am anticipating receiving my R1+ on Monday and am ready to step into the world of 3d printing. I am aware of the risks of the possibility that some prints may fail during the process and that some tasks a printer might not be best suited for, but it is a tool that I believe to be well invested into.

I am attempting to comb through the forums for possible upgrades, and modifications that I hope to purchase later such as the LCD XXL controller, and when I need it possibly a E3D v6 or Chimera extruder (but of course not for a long time.) Also I would like to ask for any tricks/tips that anyone may have regarding print speeds, tempatures, software, and the first things I should address when I recieve the printer. Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you in advance to those who provide feedback,
    Brett W

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Brett, welcome!

Print speed and temps will vary drastically.

For mods lcd and dual parts cooling fans, hotend if needed like you said.

I would steer you clear of dual extrusion on the robos, just not an ideal set up.

For software it comes with matter control. Try the other free ones (slic3r, cura ). I use simplify 3D but it's not free (try the free ones, they may work great for you)

The biggest piece of advise is printing spares of all the plastic parts then put a wish list togather for spare parts for the machine. It's a good thing to have.

3. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Thank you for the quick reply Geof
    I understand that speed and temps vary between different types of filament, I purchased both PLA and ABS from the robo3d shop during the sale and ironically received them a week ago (not much use without a printer is it?) I'm assuming that your suggestion against dual extrusion is because of the stability of the printer itself or the fact that you have to print parts, change the control board because the second is already being used, and things of that sort.
    What parts/ tools do you like to have on hand?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Start with pla.... Abs is near impossible to print with(of all my printers only one does it well). Print speeds and temp vary on every printer. I doubt you or I will print at the same speed or temps. With the stock settings do a quick test print and see what your results are, tweak heat and speed and reprint that test print until your happy with the quality.

I'm a bit nutty with spare parts so I'll tell you I have every part on hand lol.

Recommended parts to consider stocking in my opinion

Lm8uu bearings,
    Ramps and arduino board
    Stepper driver
    Maybe a stepper or two
    Belt
    Hobbled bolt maybe
    Nozzles (and a hardened one if printing with abrasive filament)

Tools...I'm even nuttier about tools lol

Off the cuff tools I use daily

calipers are a must.
    Hairspray and glue stick for bed adhesion.
    Good stubby Phillips screw driver
    Exactlo knife
    Tweezers
    Wet sand paper for touch ups
    Paints

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dual extrusion is just plain hard and on the robo you give up to much print volume in my opinion, for a system that won't work perfect. I suggest if you decide dual extrusion is a must down the road consider adding a dual extrusion printer :).... Be advised that I warned you! It's hard,... Lol

6. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Yes I understand for both, it will definitely be a steep learning curve. I believe I read somewhere that e3ds' hardened nozzles are compatible with the robo's stock extruder but I could be wrong. I was definitely planning on starting with the PLA first and putting my printer through calibration tests

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes the e3d v6 nozzles work on the hexagon

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not just that, print temperatures vary from one printer to the next and even more if the printers are not identical and in the same room.

9. BillUpNorth

BillUpNorth New Member

Being a recent purchaser myself, the main upgrades I've done have been very limited but I'm having good success with everything from PLA to ABS to PETG. This is what I've done, in order..

- Buy Purple Glue sticks
    - Buy Harbor Freight Digital calipers
    - Print a PLA oiler (Using Matter Control as a default slicer)
    - Print a top-mount spool holder
    - Print a Raspberry Pi and Camera holder
    - Add a Raspberry Pi with OctoPi and a camera, for remote monitoring/control
    - Switch to Simplify3d
    - Buy a 10x10 PEI sheet (Gizomodorks off Amazon, included adhesive)
    - Keep printing

Even before the PEI I had good success with watered-down gluestick on the glass bed, even for ABS (245/80, no or low fan, no enclosure, ~70F ambient temp) and PETG (247/80, no fan first 2 layers).

I'm still pondering the E3D hotend option, as the hexagon is functional but not ideal, and I want to get into printing Polycarbonate and other things. But so far so good with the bare minimums above. Fan replacement is probably going to be my first upgrade where I have to take things apart..

10. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Ok Mark, good to know.
    What is your reasoning for having a Raspberry Pi/ Camera? I also will have to look into the uses for OctoPi/ purchase a Pi myself. I'm assuming that it would do something similar to the XXL LCD controller, also which Pi do you recommend? I'm assuming a Pi3 would be the best because it is the most powerful one they have released. I'll also look into a PEI sheet for the robo, I already added the rest of the suggestions to my first modifications I will use.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Raspicam and Octoprint (web interface which will use the camera) are the reasons to go that route and good ones (I use that on my Delta). Otherwise cheap-as-dirt USB webcams will work attached to a PC if you are using a PC to drive the printer anyway. Programs like WebCamXP will do wonders with those.

12. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Alright, I'll read up this and see if I will need to implement a Raspicam. Initially I won't be running the printer without me being by it's side but eventually I hope to get it to a point where it could be supervised remotely. I glanced over @WheresWaldo's thread about this awhile ago, I'll have to go over it more in depth.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. If you DO go for remote, add the Printer-Shutoff-Smoke Alarm I posted on the thingiverse and here under projects.
    Just in case :)

14. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Alright Mark, thank you I saw that thread earlier as well, its no good having a remote system without a way to shut it off if it goes awry.

15. BillUpNorth

BillUpNorth New Member

I used a Pi3 on mine - setting it up with camera and all took less than 30 minutes. The main reason I went with Pi over something more closed-ended is to be able to add other things like ambient temp sensors, relay-controlled power (for the emergency remote off capability) etc. I've been too lazy to do those so far, but plan to now that the snow has arrived.

Typically when I'm printing but not in the building there will be someone else who can shut it off for me if something goes horribly wrong safety wise. I try to minimize risk by having the machine on a fire-resistant surface (cement board), away from flammable coverings (curtains, etc) and only using materials I've had good success with in short/medium prints before I try long prints.

16. TheKoopaGaming

TheKoopaGaming New Member

PEI is your best friend! It is sheet of plastic that you can put on your bed and everything sticks great to it. No glue or hairspray. There are lots of posts on the forms here and some videos on YouTube. Also, on thingiverse there is a cover you can print for the hole on either side of the bed. Once something falls in there, good luck finding it. I hope you love your RoBo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im personally not a fan of pei...i perfer plain glass with some hairspray. My mk2 has pei and yes it does work but some things stick much to well (and i print everything and often)

The amount of printing i do also causes alot of cleaning to be neccessary on the pei...i just dont like that :)

The mk2 pei has to be cleaned daily otherwise things just wont stick...now im saying this but keep in mind...i print literally 16+ hours a day almost every day...normal hobbyist printing probably wont see this kind of issue with pei

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. BrettW

BrettW New Member

Interesting to note Geof, I received the printer and it is now operational. I'm printing a few small test prints then moving on to the bigger and badder things. A top spool holder is #1 on the list.