1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best Wood and conductive filaments?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Wesley Knapp, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

I have a need for some wood fiber filament as well as some conductive filament. If anyone has experience with either that can tell me which worked best for them, I'd appreciate it.

I have used both from Proto-Pasta before but just checking my option as $50 + S&H for .5kg is a bit pricey.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, I have used both -- from ProtoPasta and Laywood.
    You want a larger than normal nozzle for best results (0.5 or 0.6)

Wesley Knapp likes this.
  3. EyesFiT

EyesFiT New Member

Lay wood is still the best, in my opinion, because it can be printed with a treeing effect and has a flexible version. Extruder Fichte (Spruce) is also fantastic; it's bright and looks like MDF boards.

mark tomlinson and Wesley Knapp like this.
  4. Mythic268

Mythic268 New Member

My first thinking for a possible practical application, though I'm not sure if it would be any better than present approaches, is to utilise a dual extruder printer to print multi-layered PCBs at home using conductive filament in one and non-conductive material in the other. However, there may be better options now. I've never made anything like this before.
    If this is possible, I believe it will be easier to reproduce some of the more complicated guitar pedals and other effects at home. However, because this is the first time I've heard of this filament, I'm not sure. Now it's time to do some research!

5. ozzy10

ozzy10 New Member

As a beginner One of the first questions to 3D printing has to sort out is what kind of filament to use. The novice is presented with a large number of choices, all with three-letter-acronyms (TLA’s). The most common filaments are PLA (Poly Lactic Acid), ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), PETG (Poly Ethylene Terephthalate, HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene ), Nylon, as well as a number exotics such as Ninja Flex, conductive filament, and others. what should a newbie does?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. ozzy10

ozzy10 New Member

i dont have personal experience but there are many brands that offer both wood fiber and conductive filaments
    • ColorFabb XT-CF20

• Taulman Alloy 910

• Fillamentum WoodFil

• eSUN Wood-Polylite